Think I had a virus or trojan

-

chryslerfat

Reaction score
For the past few weeks my computer would start when I pushed the button the shut right down. The only way to get around this was to unplug it and plug in again. Sometimes it took a few tries to get it back on. Other times while booting up it would freeze and then shut off instantly and it would have to be unplugged and replugged to do anything. My McCaffe that comes from my internet provider found a trojan a few weeks ago and claimed it fixed it. I had to go online and a fix I found recommended by microsoft called RegCure it had me buy. It claimed to have found a bunch of troubles and fixed them. So far it is working good. Anyone else have this trouble? I figured it was a small fee to fix than replace the tower.

Trojan? What was you doin with a condom in your computer? :-D

Microsoft doesn't recommend anything it doesn't sell. The regcure recommendations was NOT from MS, and probably a scam.

Your new problem sounds more like a bad power supply. Is this a desktop or notebook?

It is alot faster since I did it and when loading my mail page it no longer says my adobe has crashed as it did before.

Often these scams will interject a problem, then fix it when you pay. I'm not saying Regcure is one of these since I am on vacation, and am not about to work (systems admin). I do think you might be looking at a failing power supply, though.

FWIW, the problems the fake AV / Reg cleaners interject are not what you described. I think you have a "legitimate" product.

Often these scams will interject a problem, then fix it when you pay. I'm not saying Regcure is one of these since I am on vacation, and am not about to work (systems admin). I do think you might be looking at a failing power supply, though.

FWIW, the problems the fake AV / Reg cleaners interject are not what you described. I think you have a "legitimate" product.

Well that is good to hear. I can tell you the other night when windows started it went to a blue screen and said it was not able to read windows xp and took a few then showed it fixed 2 files. Also when it had the problem another thing I could do instead of unplug it was slide the breaker over next to the cord and the green light would go out next to it and hen slide it back and it would restart.

When I start up my laptop I keep getting an error (?) message that says I am missing a file hc cutils.exe I cannot figure out how to fix this I tried to reboot my laptop with the drivers disc and still no luck. As a result of this it takes forever to load windows programs and startup icons. Does anyone out here know how to fix this??? Sorry for hijacking the thread, that is not my intention.

For the past few weeks my computer would start when I pushed the button the shut right down. The only way to get around this was to unplug it and plug in again. Sometimes it took a few tries to get it back on. Other times while booting up it would freeze and then shut off instantly and it would have to be unplugged and replugged to do anything. My McCaffe that comes from my internet provider found a trojan a few weeks ago and claimed it fixed it. I had to go online and a fix I found recommended by microsoft called RegCure it had me buy. It claimed to have found a bunch of troubles and fixed them. So far it is working good. Anyone else have this trouble? I figured it was a small fee to fix than replace the tower.
do u have an asus mother bord??

mine does the same thing smae with thousands of others... it is something to do with the bios...

I had the blue screen deal while back and had to format the computer and Windows XP reinstalled. It wasn't a virus it was I would install things, find that I didn't like it and then delete it which left the registry in shambles.

My computer guy recommends CCleaner.. it's free and they keep it updated.

CCleaner
Optimization and Cleaning

http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/update?v=2.35.1223&l=1033

My kids go to gaming sites and download stuff which I'm told is the # 1 way to get a virus. Don't know if it's #1 but they've had some whoppers.

Go to Techsupport.ca and they can help you for free. Some very smart people there. It may take a couple days as it's a forum and they do it as they have time but you don't buy anything. My worry now is that what you bought is a scam, and that it may have fixed the problem you had but installed something else as well that may be logging your information.

Macaffee, Norton and the likes are crap. There are good antivirus programs that you can download for free that are worlds better than those. Microsoft Security Essentials, AVG, are just a couple.

Mullinax: I've used CCleaner (the first C stands for crap, seriously).

pcryslerfat: That "Blue Screen" (a lighter blue than the BSOD) that fixes files is a check disk scan that was initiated automatically since Windows did not shut down properly. I recommend running that scan periodically, and it can be scheduled from the command line or via the hard disk properties sheet. Now when you slid the breaker to restart, was this in an off state, or was it powered on and frozen? I want to be certain I'm understanding the facts correctly. If it was off, I'm still betting on the power supply. BTW, HP uses proprietary power supplies, so that $30.00 ATX unit from Walmart or Newegg won't work. You have to get one designed for your specific configuration.

Dustermaniac: It sounds like your Hard Disk is degrading, and windows cannot read certain files. Nothing to panic about, a HD is an electromechanical device, and is prone to this. I have observed this on PCs as new as 3 months, but it typically happens after two years or so. From experiance, I'll tell you it's NOT just the indicated file that is missing. You could replace that one file, then another would be indicated, and so on. The first thing to do is a check disk scan with the /f /r switches. This will map out bad sectors so they are not written to again, and in the case of important system files, it will actually restore the corrupted files. If it does not restore the files, perform an "in place" install of your OS. Not all OEM media allows this, so be careful. It is easy to accidentally wipe your system while trying this, if you hit the wrong prompt. If your important files are not backed up, do that first.

I realize I'm not giving specific instructions on all the procedures I have listed. This is not to be a PITA. All the info is available for free if you Google it. Sometimes you just need to know what to google. I'm a network and systems admin, by trade. I deal with infrastructure and servers mostly. I really hate dealing with client machines, especially Windows, and extra especially Windows XP.

Train: Great info on the tech support forum. I wouldn't say the commercial AV's are crap, but the free ones available now are certainly well supported, and I believe just as good. Since I work in a corporate environment, the EULA precludes me from using such products (all my PC's are work issue), therefore I'm not well versed in what's available, but have heard good things.

For ANYONE who is chronically prone to viruses: Run your PC in a limited state for the user account that is getting the virus. You should be doing this ANYWAY, since we don't want our kids accidentally deleting our tax returns, etc. Even using separate user accounts, if they are admin level, you have access to every file on the PC. Not very secure. But the big thing here is that in a limited account, nothing can be installed that alters system files without the password of an administrator account. Basically this makes your machine VERY virus proof, even without a third party AV. Windows UAC that is present in Vista and 7 is kind of an example of this. It asks permission for tasks that alter system state. Of course this is useless if the user simply accepts without thinking. Changing the user account type varies by OS, so again, Google is your friend.

blackbomber
What makes the CCleaner crap? Not upset with your comment just wondering. I use it mainly to remove cookies from sites I have browsed and fix registry errors.

I have ran and currently run Norton 360 for the 7 yrs I have had my computer. Norton 360 has optimization and cleaning as well but don't use as much as the ccleaner.
Norton has worked extremely well IMHO but the only thing I dislike about the Norton 360 is it checks my pictures for virus (I guess) and it causes problems managing attachments. I have had to restart my computer because of this numerous times. I have a external hard drive that I have all my pictures on now and it doesn't freeze up as it does with the pictures that are on my computers hard drive (Norton).

I still have some days left on my Norton subscription but have always used Norton and afraid to use anything else. It seems however that since owning a computer that anti virus programs have became free and are just as good as Norton. Just can't make the jump. The Microsoft Security Essentials sounds like a good one and the fact that it is Microsoft.

Off topic.... I been wanting to upgrade to Windows 7 but my computer graphics card is not up to par, and also my computer (Sony PCV-RS420) doesn't produce enough voltage to run 7. I guess I would have to buy another computer wouldn't I?

You probably have been taken by "hostageware or ransomware". You pay the price and you get you computer back....................

Have you heard about the new re-usable Trojans? turn them upside down and shake the f*%k outta them. :)

Ooops, I guess I wasn't clear, ha ha! No, the creator of CCleaner originally called it "Crap Cleaner." I read this in an industry magazine. The publishers changed the name to "Cruft Cleaner" then it was eventually shortened to CCleaner. It's certainly not crap, but will clean the crap off of your system, get it? I recommend CCleaner.

As for Norton360, if you are comfortable with the product, why switch. Some of the free products (Avira comes to mind) will show pop ups for the paid versions (which basically removes the popup). I'd pay just to avoid that.

If your PC is seven years old, I'd certainly upgrade to 7 with the purchase of a new PC, and not install it on the one you have. I'm guessing 7 home premium (or whatever they call it now) retails for $120 - $180. I'm also guessing a basic but decent new system can be had in the $500 range for a desktop, add 50% for a notebook. It's kind of a big chunk of the cost, and you won't notice all the nice features (such as Aero) if your hardware doesn't support it. 7 years is a pretty good run for a PC. In my organization, we switch out laptops every three years, workstation PCs and servers every five.

if you think its a virus, d/l malwarebytes and run it in safe mode.

yes, ccleaner is a good little program, run it

You may also try shutting down some of the programs that startup in the background when you boot up.

Mullinax: I've used CCleaner (the first C stands for crap, seriously).

pcryslerfat: That "Blue Screen" (a lighter blue than the BSOD) that fixes files is a check disk scan that was initiated automatically since Windows did not shut down properly. I recommend running that scan periodically, and it can be scheduled from the command line or via the hard disk properties sheet. Now when you slid the breaker to restart, was this in an off state, or was it powered on and frozen? I want to be certain I'm understanding the facts correctly. If it was off, I'm still betting on the power supply. BTW, HP uses proprietary power supplies, so that $30.00 ATX unit from Walmart or Newegg won't work. You have to get one designed for your specific configuration.

Dustermaniac: It sounds like your Hard Disk is degrading, and windows cannot read certain files. Nothing to panic about, a HD is an electromechanical device, and is prone to this. I have observed this on PCs as new as 3 months, but it typically happens after two years or so. From experiance, I'll tell you it's NOT just the indicated file that is missing. You could replace that one file, then another would be indicated, and so on. The first thing to do is a check disk scan with the /f /r switches. This will map out bad sectors so they are not written to again, and in the case of important system files, it will actually restore the corrupted files. If it does not restore the files, perform an "in place" install of your OS. Not all OEM media allows this, so be careful. It is easy to accidentally wipe your system while trying this, if you hit the wrong prompt. If your important files are not backed up, do that first.

I realize I'm not giving specific instructions on all the procedures I have listed. This is not to be a PITA. All the info is available for free if you Google it. Sometimes you just need to know what to google. I'm a network and systems admin, by trade. I deal with infrastructure and servers mostly. I really hate dealing with client machines, especially Windows, and extra especially Windows XP.

It was in an on state and the green light next to it was light up. The front light on the button that turns it on went out within a second after pushing it to turn the computer on. When I slid the breaker the green light went out next to it and the light in my mouse flashed. I am still having the problem turning it on after multiple tries I can get it to stay on.

Chryslerfat: To me this definitely sounds like a hardware problem, either power supply or motherboard. You don't have an ASUS motherboard, as a previous post suggested a bios issue. When I did PC work on the side, I had a client's computer (small form factor HP desktop, no less), where I narrowed the issue to one of those two (can't remember the symptoms). Because HP uses proprietary hardware, either of the parts was hideously expensive. As the PC was a few years old, I recommended replacing the unit with new.
Since your computer DOES power up eventually, I'm almost 100% certain you are looking at a bad power supply. But again, an HP unit might cost $100 or more. Not worth it for a 5 year old PC, in my opinion. My suggestion? Leave the machine running all the time. I think the hot and cold cycling of the capacitors inside the PS is the issue. Let them stay hot, and you might go on for a good long time this way. As always, back up important files regularly.

I was having a problem with this system not wanting to turn on- I'd have to hit the power button several times, then hold it in, then start over, etc.

Yep, new power supply fixed it right up :)

btw, chryslerfat- in your first post you mentioned having to replace the tower- don't forget, you can just replace whatever part is failing and go from there...

-
Back