Thinking about a new cam for my hemicuda...overkill for the street ?

-

ValerianMagnum

the little car that could
Reaction score
Hi guys...i bought a gen 2 hemi 3 weeks a go with lots of parts but no pistons/crank/rods but the rest is there , heads are aluminium mopar brand and block too , its a siamese block , i will build it to a 426 or 472 with ported heads + headers + a strong cam , will be 4 or speed car with 3.54 or 4.10 dana....and ive found this cam on internet , i drove small block with high duration and cams but never had one that was a solid roller : so my 2 questions are 1- is it a pain in the *** on the street to adjust every once and then...and 2- are the specs too high for my street and strip built ???? Thx a lot guys

ad_1489440627513.jpg

I´m not familiar with Hemis....but the recommended RPM range alone sounds not streetable to me. If my math is correct then the duration @ .050" is 296°....nothing
i´d run on the street (or the strip ;-))

Michael

Last edited:
That looks like a solid roller super stock cam. And a triple valve spring on the street is not going to work out very well. lol Thats got to be an old cam, i could not source that grind or part number on their web site.

Yeah i found it on Summit racing. Thats a race only cam. .296/.296 @.050. Most street cams are in the .245/.265 range at .050

oh ok ... personnaly i have a hard time knowing when its overkill on the street , a lot of people did worst than me , but i was running my 380 hp crate duster reduced weight at 2800 pounds etc on the street with a 3000 stall... its not that much but it was a lots of fun and reliable , i know that the hemicuda will ne very heavy near 3900 pds and want a engine that kicks *** and be fun on the street and that doesnt overheat , i tought that big block could run higher lift / and duration on the street is that right ? so if i understand this cam is extremely overkill ?

oh ok ... personnaly i have a hard time knowing when its overkill on the street , a lot of people did worst than me , but i was running my 380 hp crate duster reduced weight at 2800 pounds etc on the street with a 3000 stall... its not that much but it was a lots of fun and reliable , i know that the hemicuda will ne very heavy near 3900 pds and want a engine that kicks *** and be fun on the street and that doesnt overheat , i tought that big block could run higher lift / and duration on the street is that right ? so if i understand this cam is extremely overkill ?
valve adjustment was a pain in the *** on my 426 hemi street cars, they require constant mainteinance if you drive them a lot. 5-600 lift hyd., w/ about 570 dur. @50 for full street car. if ur going to build a bigger engine than 426, I`d go a little bigger. jmo

thx a lot guys ! i called my engine builder and he told me to not go more than 250-258 duration and 600-650 lift , with a hydraulic roller , and 10.5:1 compression , im going to a 426-472 combination .

you can always upgrade to a larger cam if you feel you want more but i feel a cam in the 250 duration range will leave you plenty happy

Isn´t there a good book for performance hemi builds? I´ve got the book from Andy Finkbeiner (AndyF over here) regarding the B / RB based strokers, i learned a lot from it. There are even some recipes for 6/7/800 HP builds, maybe you can find sth. like this for the hemi and go from there. With more information you can get your own opinion what you want or not.

Michael

have a .600 lift cam in a 10.5:1 440, it's 252/[email protected] and seems docile
is that a solid roller, 292 extreme ? sounds like the same cam I`ve got in my 505. a guy at fast fuel inj. told me it was a little too hairy of a cam for the 2.0 set up, when he heard it over the phone. --1200 cfm throttle body, and this 252-260 @.050, 628 lift is too hot for it ? weired !! seems like its going to be ok now tho.

Hughes flat tappet, .626 lift.

that cam is out now, putting in a crane r280 roller

thx a lot guys ! i called my engine builder and he told me to not go more than 250-258 duration and 600-650 lift , with a hydraulic roller , and 10.5:1 compression , im going to a 426-472 combination .

Here is the cam card for the cam that was in my 528ci HEMI. It was in the engine while using a 727 auto and 3800 converter. Also a 4.10 gear and 31" tall tires.

IMG_0467.JPG

Thats what i need !!!
that sounds like a good cam. didn`t notice , guessing it was a solid roller ?? We had a cam dynamics 785 solid roller at the last, it was really a boat cam that I bought off of Steve Carbone, an ex top fuel racer.

-
Back