Thinking about buying a HEMI...

-

soaringcowman

Reaction score
Hey guys, i'm debating on buying a 2004 Dodge Ram 1500, it's got the 5.7 hemi in it. And i was curious on how reliable and how long they are lasting some of you guys? and just maybe some other general things to look for on it.

thanks

adam

I bought my son a 2004 two years ago. It had 90k on it then, it now has 130k. No problems at all. No squeaks or rattles. Great truck. We tow with it from time to time. Plenty of power. 19MPG hiway / 14MPG city.

i have got an 03 5.7 1500. 2 wd extra cab. she has 194,000 miles on her and don't use one drop of oil. bought new i have alway ran good oil moble 1 synth. i have had a few problems but not much, 1 front wheel bearing, not cheap. 1 rear abs senser not bad, a short to my ac/heat fan i just fixed that. i have done all the plug changes and oil changes and brakes. very good truck and she will still haul butt for a stock truck. i want to go get a new one but i am afraid to right now. just don't know about this economy. and i need to build the dart too.

I got an 04 also, and the motor is just fine. The rearend though, that's another story. I have 130,000 on the truck and the rearend is howling like a lone wolf!!! This is not the first truck of this era I have heard of that has had a rearend problem. A co-worker of my brothers has had his rear end rebuilt once and it is howling again. I don't know if this is true for any other trucks from this time period, and I do a fair amount of trailering, but it has the towing package and I would like to believe that it should be able to handle it. I'm not too happy about having to rebuild the rear, and the $$$ to do it also, but I do like the truck!!! Just thought I'd throw that out there for you to check if you're thinking of buying it!!! Good luck with the purchase, Geof

I got an 04 also, and the motor is just fine. The rearend though, that's another story. I have 130,000 on the truck and the rearend is howling like a lone wolf!!! This is not the first truck of this era I have heard of that has had a rearend problem. A co-worker of my brothers has had his rear end rebuilt once and it is howling again. I don't know if this is true for any other trucks from this time period, and I do a fair amount of trailering, but it has the towing package and I would like to believe that it should be able to handle it. I'm not too happy about having to rebuild the rear, and the $$$ to do it also, but I do like the truck!!! Just thought I'd throw that out there for you to check if you're thinking of buying it!!! Good luck with the purchase, Geof

Not just Dodge on that. I've rebuilt a few in the Ford ranks, too.

Why not a 4.7l thats what I got in my 07 Quadcab 2wd and I have pulled my Duster through the mountains with no problems. I love the power that little motor has.

thanks for all the fee back so far guys, i've actually looked at a truck on the lot i work at thats got the 4.7 in it, but the truck had high milage, and was also all base line inside. Then i ran across this Hemi truck that's a little fancier inside, and is also in my price range still with a more then half the mileage lol

I've got an '04 quad cab 1500 ,AWD, 4x4, AT, 5.7. Seems pretty good for repairs so far, but I've only got 72,000 KMS on it though. No squaeks or rattles.It does have a towing package, but I prefer my Suburban (8.1 liter) way better.
The Ram pulls my loaded aluminum open deck trailer just fine, and if it's all I had, I would not hesitate to use it regularly. I'm not too sure how it would do with my loaded 24' enclosed trailer though.
I think you'll be plenty happy with it.
Daryl

thanks for all your guys input on the truck, I ended up buying me one :cheers:
I've driven it just for a day now and am very impressed on how it handles, and just the power it has at any given moment. Pretty stout truck for being stock.... this is the only pic i have at the moment, I'll hopefully get more tomorrow

Dodge.jpg

-
Back