thinking about buying this hemi scoop

-
All depends on what you want and the type of car it is going on. Personally I prefer the type that has the bottom and front edges rolled under and not flared out like this one. They are more difficult to attached but look better IMO. I also like the ones that are a bit lower but longer and wider. A lot depends on the car and what you need I guess.

I have a fiberglass hood for 67/68 cuda-100 that would look good on. Oops I just noted,you have a Dart-Sorry

I bought that exact one it has 6 mounting brackets inside. I haven't used it yet. You will have to drill hole in the front so it don't blow off. On my valiant hood you would have to notch out the hood or cut the scoop to lay flat. So haven't decided what I'm going to do yet. My .02 cents. Dave

I bought that exact scoop too from that seller, he makes them I think, quality work! Thick and not flimsy at all, but have yet to mount it on my 72 Dart. I'm having a pro body guy I know install cause he has done a few so I trust him to cut a hole in my hood and lay it in and rivet then fiberglass it to a smooth finish, I can take pics of it going through the process when Im at his shop if you want, he has a tool that contours the cut like a step down so the scoop lays flat in flush with the hood. Ill be there on monday with my car starting the process, my body guy quoted me 500 bucks all said and done and back on the car.

I bought that exact scoop too from that seller, he makes them I think, quality work! Thick and not flimsy at all, but have yet to mount it on my 72 Dart. I'm having a pro body guy I know install cause he has done a few so I trust him to cut a hole in my hood and lay it in and rivet then fiberglass it to a smooth finish, I can take pics of it going through the process when Im at his shop if you want, he has a tool that contours the cut like a step down so the scoop lays flat in flush with the hood. Ill be there on monday with my car starting the process, my body guy quoted me 500 bucks all said and done and back on the car.

Cool let me know I wana see

Man I need to start doing more scoops! Actually 500 is fair if he takes his time and makes it to where you cant see the blend areas. I've seen a lot of botch jobs that really make the car look bad.

Man I need to start doing more scoops! Actually 500 is fair if he takes his time and makes it to where you cant see the blend areas. I've seen a lot of botch jobs that really make the car look bad.

In my area there are a couple Mopars (72Dart, and 72 Challenger) with scoops and they are botch jobs and they paid more for the install when I asked so I can get an idea of cost for my scoop.

@mopardrt I'll post some pics of it just laying on the hood before the install for you.

Since the scoop is made well it does not flex so it won't contour the back area of the hood that has a slight slope

HTC_9162012_222.jpg

HTC_9162012_223.jpg

HTC_9162012_230.jpg

This is what I was sayin at the top. The reason why the hood has to be cut and scoop flushed in since both rear corners are flat and won't flex

It does contour well with the front of the hood.

That will be an easy one to install. Just make sure when they cut the hole they either brace it somehow or cut just the sheet metal to let in air. I'm not sure what your plans are as far as clearance or if toy want to put a monster tall air cleaner on that will protrude through the hood. If they cut a big section out just make sure they frame it in otherwise it will vibrate all to hell. Ive been using panel bond along with rivets to make sure that sucker stays down. A good body guy should be able to knock that out no problem and 500 bucks is about right. Should look schweet!!

Oh yea make sure he uses fiber reinforced body filler( kitty hair ) or what I use Kevlar reinforced body filler. Helps prevent cracks. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh yea make sure he uses fiber reinforced body filler( kitty hair ) or what I use Kevlar reinforced body filler. Helps prevent cracks. Good luck and let me know if you have any other questions.

Oh for sure, I totally agree with you, normal body filler will crack like the other Dodges in my area with similar scoops and as for the bracing we will prolly cut the original braces out when we cut the initial hole which will be the inside perimeter size of the scoop then rebrace after its on, Ill have a top feed K and N on so it'll breathe better and will do the same job as a air cleaner that protrudes the hood a little.

wow looks cool I will deff buy one soon

Glad I was able to help you out, there are so many scoops out there that it is a tough decision on which one to buy, but this scoop for 80 bucks total is a steal for what you get. Plus by what gtmopar said it's a easy one to install.

I have a k&n exstream air cleaner for sale if you are interested. 80 bucks plus freight. I paid 120 just for the lid! It's complete 3" tall. Good luck man

-
Back