Thinking about checking out this 65 Barracuda

-

plumkrazee70

Reaction score
1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S Commando - cars & trucks - by...

From what the fender tag says its a formula S but not sure about the motor. Fender tag just says 273 V8 4bbl Is it a commando? It has a commando air cleaner (but I am not as familiar with the early A's)

The guy claims no rust and he has all the parts for it. Will start, but leaks coolant from the radiator, brakes are shot. Looks pretty clean and straight.

Thoughts?

are you contemplating because you're after an S car, or a 4spd car specifically? or because you want an early cuda project?

4spd S cars are selling for good money, but at that price plus what you'd need to put into it you'd be well upside down if you were to try and unload it any time in the near future.

that said, it *should* be a commando car. but with "4.10's" out back, you know somebody has been in there tinkering, so anything is possible.

i personally don't think that's a great price, but it looks solid and if all of the parts are there it would be a good place to start on a project for the right price.

I would be leery of the "no rust" claim on a 65 early A.

I saw the 4.10 also, but it appears to have an 7.25 rear. I'll have ask more questions. I just love an early A, especially a barracuda. 4 speed tops it off for me.

I saw the 4.10 also, but it appears to have an 7.25 rear. I'll have ask more questions. I just love an early A, especially a barracuda. 4 speed tops it off for me.
if it's just the aspects of early a and a 4spd, i think there's much better options out there-- either from a starting point of buying a project and doing it up with a 4spd or buying a complete car ready to rock and roll. i always try and think of it in terms of "you can't build it for that" for a driver vs a project.

just looking at comps on CL, there's two early cudas for 1/2 that price in similar condition-- both are non S, automatic, V8 cars, but 4K can buy a bunch of stuff to bring it up to snuff.

looks like an excellent find! i would by it if closer to me- good luck ever seeing another one

It has the in dash tachometer and front sway bar. Sure looks like a Formula S to me! 65'

has some nice parts, hard to get parts, that tachometer and bezel $600 steering wheel $300 air cleaner $250 valve covers $250 i would check it out if i were you.

If it's spent a significant part of its life in that part of the state, I'd be pretty surprised if it truly had no rust.
This. The cars on the coast rot from the inside out. Take some magnets and picks. Stab the frame rails, specifically the torsion bar cross member. Magnets on the 1/4 panels. Just make sure you inspect closely.

If it’s truly rust free, I’d buy it. Hell if I had the money I’d buy it. That’s one of the coolest early As you can find. I’ve always wanted a formula s.

As far as the price, a 4 speed swap done on the cheap is about $2500. Then add in all the formula s specific stuff. I think if it’s really and truly rust free, it’s a good deal.

IMG_3271.jpeg

Last edited:
Two words-

"Vent stacks".

At first when I saw it was on Sacramento Craigslist, I was going to offer to check it out but it’s 5 hours from me. I think it’s worth a drive.

Looks.like he cross posted it. It's in Arcata, CA. It's been up for a bit because he has multiple listings with different pics and descriptions.

What’s up with the rear end? That’s a deciding factor in my opinion. If it’s a 7.25 it should have a sure grip in it.

-
Back