Thinking about checking out this 65 Barracuda

-
I start my math at the top. What does this model actually sell for done. Then subtract off the cost of parts and materials and cost of work YOU can not do.

Quarter panels look good.

Wish it were at the opposite corner of the country.

I'd be all over it (if the vent stacks are OK).

yes a 7.25 suregrip was available from the factory. There is a great book you can buy from amazon called barracuda unlocked. Has all the info you need for an early a barracuda including vin decoding. There is a specific vin code for the commando engine . check out this web site EVBC

if its a commando car under ab the code will be 31. and the fender tag will have a code for the stripe. if it has evidence of a stripe , the stripe was always the same color as the interior color.

also keep in mind some early cudas could be ordered with just about everything except the formula s option

finally look at the rear valance, all formula s cars has a square cut out that matched the square chrome exhaust tip.

these are all clues for you when he sends tou the photos. Get a photo of the fender tag and post it here si i can help you decode more about the car if needed.
Did they come with a sure grip from th factory 7.25?

yes a 7.25 suregrip was available from the factory. There is a great book you can buy from amazon called barracuda unlocked. Has all the info you need for an early a barracuda including vin decoding. There is a specific vin code for the commando engine . check out this web site EVBC

if its a commando car under ab the code will be 31. and the fender tag will have a code for the stripe. if it has evidence

of a stripe , the stripe was always the same color as the interior color.

also keep in mind some early cudas could be ordered with just about everything except the formula s option

finally look at the rear valance, all formula s cars has a square cut out that matched the square chrome exhaust tip.

these are all clues for you when he sends tou the photos. Get a photo of the fender tag and post it here si i can help you decode more about the car if needed.

Heres the fender tag. It has the AB31 but I couldn't find anything about the stripe in the fender tag.

Screenshot_20230629-160908.png

I start my math at the top. What does this model actually sell for done. Then subtract off the cost of parts and materials and cost of work YOU can not do.
i think this is true and something to think on.

if we're working in gorilla math, the comps don't bear this out as good price/starting point. but, then again that's never really a consideration with most of us...

for example here's a 65 S in what appears to be very clean original condition: 1965 Barracuda formula S - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

yes, it's more than double the price; but i don't think that you could get to this from that for 12K or so.

locally, an absolutely beautiful 66 S car sold for mid 20's. the interior was immaculate, the paint was maybe a 10yr old respray that was very presentable and professionally done. motor was correct commando with an *slightly* upgraded solid from oregon cams everything else was period correct externally with the exception of 340 manifolds, factory electronic ignition and a clutch fan. the brakes were upgraded to dual master cylinder and wilwood calipers, and it had an 8.75 3.23 SG out back. the steelies were custom 14X6 and it was still SBP, front end and trans had been gone thru about the same time as paint, but not much mileage and every was tight and solid.

everything on this car was clean, correct and upgrades were subtle and thoughtful. you could get in it and drive across the country tomorrow if you so chose. it's something like this that i would weigh my decision of purchase price on.

unless it has to be a formula S 4spd car and you're going the resto route, or it's one of your bucket list forever cars, i think there are better and cheaper deals out there.

i think this is true and something to think on.

if we're working in gorilla math, the comps don't bear this out as good price/starting point. but, then again that's never really a consideration with most of us...

for example here's a 65 S in what appears to be very clean original condition: 1965 Barracuda formula S - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle...

yes, it's more than double the price; but i don't think that you could get to this from that for 12K or so.

locally, an absolutely beautiful 66 S car sold for mid 20's. the interior was immaculate, the paint was maybe a 10yr old respray that was very presentable and professionally done. motor was correct commando with an *slightly* upgraded solid from oregon cams everything else was period correct externally with the exception of 340 manifolds, factory electronic ignition and a clutch fan. the brakes were upgraded to dual master cylinder and wilwood calipers, and it had an 8.75 3.23 SG out back. the steelies were custom 14X6 and it was still SBP, front end and trans had been gone thru about the same time as paint, but not much mileage and every was tight and solid.

everything on this car was clean, correct and upgrades were subtle and thoughtful. you could get in it and drive across the country tomorrow if you so chose. it's something like this that i would weigh my decision of purchase price on.

unless it has to be a formula S 4spd car and you're going the resto route, or it's one of your bucket list forever cars, i think there are better and cheaper deals out there.

I appreciate the response. So early A's especially the barracuda are my dream car. 4 speed 273 commando is just a huge bonus. I just sold my 70 Dart that I spent the last 10 years re doing. I got $25k for it. It had a lot done to it. I wasn't expecting something to pop up so soon, though.

I think I may just sit on this one for awhile, clearly it's still for sale (I think he's too high).

I appreciate the response. So early A's especially the barracuda are my dream car. 4 speed 273 commando is just a huge bonus. I just sold my 70 Dart that I spent the last 10 years re doing. I got $25k for it. It had a lot done to it. I wasn't expecting something to pop up so soon, though.

I think I may just sit on this one for awhile, clearly it's still for sale (I think he's too high).
i think it'll be for sale for awhile at that price.

it's one of those things where making the decision of what is really important to you and what holds value is going to steer your choice.

if it has to be a 4spd S car, then nothing else will do. accept that and in doing so understand that you're now working within those parameters. on the other hand,w if the tick boxes are early cuda, 4spd and looks like an S, sounds like an S, quacks like an S then you have a much broader field of choices to start from.

MY list of "stuff"

.IMHO the bottom is this. A roller, no motor, parts and pieces MIA. Or such that some yahoo took all apart. Cheapest and hardestfor the seller to SELL! Most yahoos on CL are too stupid to understand. Usually thy are parts cars!

Next up the ladder is the complete project but NOT running. Little easier sell and still should be cheap.

Then up is the compete project that you can hear run. Still a basket case. Cheapish. Just not dirt cheap.

Then we get into partially done cars to what ever degree the builder's ability and $. Some nice, and some look like the kid had an open acount at the local hardware store. Good project to continue or a nightmare. Open your eyes or roll the dice!

The done cars either a great job by the amateur OR a sorry job or then the high $ resto shop. $$$ or $$$$$$$$

I have always felt a 4 speed car is worth a couple grand more. But remember 95% of "kids" have never driven a stick.

Buying the car you want and will love is SO important. A few more hundred or even a grand will mean nothng. A few $$ will mean little when you start doing the work and spending $$$$$/ But the OP has been there. :steering: :steering:

65 4 speed car would have the 7 1/4 depending on when it was born. A lot of 4 speed cars had the rear changed if it went in for a broken rear. Ma Mopar did do a recall in that they only warrantied the 4 speed cars. NHRA made the call in early to change the rules in Stoc/Super Stock to allow the 8.75.

1965 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S Commando - cars & trucks - by...

From what the fender tag says its a formula S but not sure about the motor. Fender tag just says 273 V8 4bbl Is it a commando? It has a commando air cleaner (but I am not as familiar with the early A's)

The guy claims no rust and he has all the parts for it. Will start, but leaks coolant from the radiator, brakes are shot. Looks pretty clean and straight.

Thoughts?
The only way to tell if the engine is a Commando is the scope the bore and look at the pistons. Commando pistons have semi dome and 2 reliefs and standard pistons have flat top and 4 valve unidirectional reliefs.

Heres the fender tag. It has the AB31 but I couldn't find anything about the stripe in the fender tag.

View attachment 1716108464
the fender tag decodes as a formula s comando 4 speed car. Red exterior, black interior and black stripe.

i would be concerned that the fender tag is a different color and appears bent. could be from a different car. Could be a formula s clone and someone took the fender tag off a formula s.
it is still worth checking out. check the area under the trunk lid and under the hood, it may have remanence of a stripe.

either way its going to be a fun car even if not a formula s or one hell of a steal if a formula s.

should have the 7 1/4 rear unless it was swapped out to a 8 3/4.

let me know if you do not but it i may drive up there and buy it.

the fender tag decodes as a formula s comando 4 speed car. Red exterior, black interior and black stripe.

i would be concerned that the fender tag is a different color and appears bent. could be from a different car. Could be a formula s clone and someone took the fender tag off a formula s.
it is still worth checking out. check the area under the trunk lid and under the hood, it may have remanence of a stripe.

either way its going to be a fun car even if not a formula s or one hell of a steal if a formula s.

should have the 7 1/4 rear unless it was swapped out to a 8 3/4.

let me know if you do not but it i may drive up there and buy it.

My wife kaboshed the idea. We have two other projects still waiting. You should come get it!

Wouldn't the body have the SO number stamped in one or more locations...

...which should match the SO number on the fender tag?

The stamp on the core support will partially match both the fender tag and vin tag. That will tell you for sure.

I Like.....what I'm seeing are the optional power brakes you don't see to often - power steering - which it doesn't need - dash pad that you don't see that often and the wood wheel which are options. The fender looks like it has the right holes for the Form S badge. Not sure what your not seeing but that's a 273 Commando engine. My 4 speed does have the small posi so I think that would be an early car. My other S car 4sp came with a 8 3/4. Yes it's on the high side - we all want them cheaper no matter what it is. Looking at thr roof it doesn't look like a rusty coast car. How many do you see around ?

This is in it's 3rd Year of Grinding, Welding, Spending and Wrenching! (April '20 Covid LockDown to 2023)

Int.jpg

Lft.jpg

-
Back