Thinking about moving to Florida,,,

-
I have a couple which are good friends, that are natives of Iowa. they used to live up in northern iowa. I would be way up there doing horse business with them and spend the night in their home. one night, Renae asked if I didn't HATE Jews, as she obviously knew I was from the Deep South.

well her question took me back..i answered NO, I had no problem with her faith or the fact she was a YANKEE! HA! and laughed. then i though a little deeper of her question. only thing that came to my mind, was that back home in Terrell Co, Ga. when I was a kid there was ONLY one Jewish family in the county. he owned a clothing store, my aunt worked for him. he was more of the most loved person and his family in the county. one of his daughters was in my school class. well though of and respected girl. we knew she wasn't Baptist!! so what!?

so why did Renae feel all Southern people hated Jews!???? I personally do not know.

used to be decades back, all New Englanders retired and moved to Fl. back home, we considered Ga. as consisting of "Atlanta" and the "rest of " the state. we considered Fl as the " natives" and the "rest of the population... no disrespect meant for anyone.

people move to the Atlanta area from every state, for employment. only people that move to the rest of Ga. do so to retire. many over the last 20 years from every part of the country, New England, where ever...

you know, the South is not the only part of the country where pregadice exists, and i'm not talking racial. I have seen it before just because my Southern accent came from my mouth.

just 'cause you're from the south you don't like blacks, Jews or New Englanders.. yeeea... BS

here's is one I deal with ALL the time
I wear work boots (we call 'em "**** kickers" here), blue jeans, tee-shirts and flannel shirts and a "baseball" cap.. I MUST be a hill-town redneck, which of course means I am prejudice - as in don't like blacks.. it is amazing how often people that don't know me from Adam will make jokes or use the "N word" around me because -- well, just look at me...

assumptions really make me bristle..

Before you ever move to Florida you must read several books by the author Tim Dorsey!
You'll love the well water it always smells like sulfur - i.e. rotten eggs !

some Fl. water does smell like Sulphur, rotten eggs...... cause its got dead snails in it!!!! dead manatees... gator poop! etc

I moved to Mo. from Ga. in ' 79. had no job, sold out in Ga. loaded 12 head of horses, an went, wife and 2 small girls. no job!

when I got here I found a job with a seed company. corn, sobeans, milo/ sales.. based out of Wisconson, and Iowa. they were having their annual sales meeting at a Mo. resort. all but one guy was from Ia, Ws, Il. well I got hired. they told me later, they were all taking bets on how long this" Ga. redneck" would last!!!!!

fortuneately, I worked Mo...... a different farmer here than Ia, Il. I probably would NOT have made it in Is, Il.

I was regarded as an oddity, a dumbass from the South, by many of them.... then I set a company sales record never broken...out did them all... huh???

like he said, it i s funny how people can ASSUME about someone!????

company polictics, mergers, sale of companies..... working for them....it was never who I was....

do I miss that company, that job, some of those people? HA! NO

used to be decades back, all New Englanders retired and moved to Fl. back home, we considered Ga. as consisting of "Atlanta" and the "rest of " the state. we considered Fl as the " natives" and the "rest of the population... no disrespect meant for anyone.

Seen it many times in the reverse. Sat at many a dinner or truck stop getting something to eat. Of course, I don't have the southern drawl so I'm quickly identified as being from "out of town."

"Where ya'll from?"

"New York."

"What's it like to live in that big city?" (Or some variation thereof that means since I'm from NY it must mean that I live in the City.)

"I wouldn't know. I live about 4-5 hours northwest of there."

The expression of surprise is fun to watch as people realize that there's an entire state "attached" to the City.

just 'cause you're from the south you don't like blacks, Jews or New Englanders.. yeeea... BS

here's is one I deal with ALL the time
I wear work boots (we call 'em "**** kickers" here), blue jeans, tee-shirts and flannel shirts and a "baseball" cap.. I MUST be a hill-town redneck, which of course means I am prejudice - as in don't like blacks.. it is amazing how often people that don't know me from Adam will make jokes or use the "N word" around me because -- well, just look at me...

assumptions really make me bristle..

Don't like being pigeon holed? Come into the Shark Tank. There's a person from a Northwest city who considers everyone who doesn't live in a city somewhere as being inbred, backwoods, Southern, racial hicks.

There's another from a mid-West state who thinks that everyone in the South is inbred, unintelligent morons. This one claims to be "a world traveler."

I was thinking of retiring to West Virginia.. down south of here.. cause the grass is greener. Or maybe we'll stay here... cause we are more south than California ( the northern part) haha

But been to Florida many times and it is dam nice in the winter

not sure what the Shark tank is - but from the sound of it, my friggin' head would explode!
Don't like being pigeon holed? Come into the Shark Tank. There's a person from a Northwest city who considers everyone who doesn't live in a city somewhere as being inbred, backwoods, Southern, racial hicks.

There's another from a mid-West state who thinks that everyone in the South is inbred, unintelligent morons. This one claims to be "a world traveler."

not sure what the Shark tank is - but from the sound of it, my friggin' head would explode!

The Shark Tank is the News and Politics sub-forum.

But, yeah, it's wonderful, isn't?

I live rural. My wife and I have 5.25 acres for our son to grow up on. I graduated with a high school class of just one hundred twenty five people.

That means I'm an inbred, racist hick according a few who go into the sub-forum who's think everyone who doesn't live urban is a complete moron. Isn't it nice to know how you can be pigeon holed like that?

Of course, I find it funny. I've been used to it all my life.

I dated a girl once who admitted to me that her first thought was, "boy! He's cute! But he's a body man, so he must be dumber than a box of rocks." She found out later, that just isn't the case.

My most recent job, in getting to know one of my co-workers, he admitted to me he wasn't sure about me at first. He definitely didn't expect someone so comfortable in his own skin. And he admitted more than once that he was impressed with the knowledge I brought to the table, not just automotive wise, but business wise. It wasn't exactly how he pictured me at first.

Looks can be deceiving, and contrary to popular belief, first impressions aren't everything.

we could probably start our own never ending thread - but we digress here.. O:)

We could. The biggest look of surprise I get is when people find out I'm a former preacher. That one usually knocks 'em dead.

But, back on topic, a bit.

The thing of it is, we all have our prejudices, rather we want to admit to 'em or not. And those prejudices are usually preconceived notions based on what we think we know about an area and people from that area. Not because we actually have interactions with people from that area, but because of what we're force fed through the... ahem... media, from entertainment, etc.

People are people no matter where you go in this country.

I have a few weeks, months .... actually before my part time piddly job starts back. IS there a member in Fl. that would take us in as GUESTS for a few months????? . FL winter weather really is great!!!!

oy - can you imagine - just the "us" from this one thread all in someone elses house for 90 days... :violent2: LOL
I have a few weeks, months .... actually before my part time piddly job starts back. IS there a member in Fl. that would take us in as GUESTS for a few months????? . FL winter weather really is great!!!!

oy - can you imagine - just the "us" from this one thread all in someone elses house for 90 days... :violent2: LOL

ye!!! HA! trust me, if I didn't have my little herd of horses, 4 dogs, and NOT worry about some sorry S O - stealing all my tools or rob parts off my cars...., I would buy me a small camper and head South for a couple of months!!!!!!! I really don't know how people live further North where it really snows and gets really COLD!!!they are tougher than me!!

-
Back