Thinking of giving it up (a bit of a rant)

-

1BadDodge71

FABO Rice Hater
Reaction score
I seriously don't know where to vent this but if it is deleted ,I understand.
I'm thinking of giving it up as in throwing in the towel and selling my Duster.
It's not that I want to.It's the fact that parts are getting too damn hard to find.
And when I do find them,many people want an arm and a leg for them.Or the parts are located in another state where I am unable to pick them up.
Some days I wish for the days of my youth in the late 80's early 90s when I had my first Duster when I could go to the local pull a part junk yard and grab what I needed for as little as $100.
I would bring home hoods,emblems,brake set ups,rear ends,you name it by the truck load.Sadly those days are gone.Finding parts locally is damned near impossible.Ive had my Duster going on 7 years now and havent really been able to enjoy it because it still needs many things.I managed to finally score a 8 1/4 rear non sure-grip ( please dont rip on me about how I should have gotten a 8 3/4,I know they are a better rear,but they are also another near impossible or expensive when found) so now I have to find different wheels .Its to the point where I panic if I even break a clip or lose a certain bolt or screw in fear that I will not be able to get another.
I've ripped on people at one time for fixing up modern cars ,but now im starting to see why.Parts are still very easy to find for them .Right now,I'm just weighing my options.Keep the car and let it rot because I cant find parts?Or sell it and get something I can actually find parts and I can actually drive.Everyday I search the classifieds here on FABO with optimism,but it gets frustrating.
Anyway,sorry about the rant.Just frustrated. :banghead:

Change to a cheaper brand. Stay in the hobby. Why torture yourself? I love Mopars just as much as anyone here, but I drew the line at my hobby putting me in the poorhouse so I had to make some tough choices.

Just a thought.

Just get it driveable and drive it and enjoy it while you get the little things for it.
Take a break, let the bank roll grow, relax some because the drive of wanting to get it done quick and right is a double edge sword.

If I wait until it's done right, I'll never drive it.

Good advice from both,the post above mine,I agree most with. I know their projects fairly well,both have a lot of food on life's plate(s),they still have enthusiasm about the hobby. If you don't have enthusiasm, find a way to make it enjoyable again.

I think the comments about speed are true, while yes in general the price of parts can be pretty ridiculous, now and then I see Duster parts priced very reasonably. I'm building a 71 Duster, at an incredibly slow pace. Some parts I've paid way too much for (hurry), some not so bad. Is there anything you need that I could take a local look around here for? Good luck.

I feel for ya brother. yes the supply of parts cars, parts, for these old cars is drying up , more so in certain parts of the country. yes shipping costs are a problem. cost of repo parts! wow! BUT. way more of that available than whay used to be!!! ia ya got the coin!?

I see prices on FABO for some parts that make me gag. yes I realize you can always come down on a price.etc, but ....why ask $100 for a cow turd??????

but like they said, you need to find pleasure in driving the old car down the road, or fixing that little thing that's not working. and yes, a balance between spending $$ on the car, and paying bills!

one thing I will point out to those that do not already have a project to work on.
find a COMPLETE car! if not, realize finding and paying $$$ for missing stuff can get into your pocket..

ouer hobby IS a hobby, and they can costs money, but if it stops being fun, THEN step back, take a break, and be realistic about it all. sometimes just having a running driving UNRESTORED car is the receipe for happiness. owning a perfect car is not always the answer!!!!! IMO

Manys the time I've thought its time to move on from this
money pit POS.
Nothing on this 46 year old turd is up to spec from the
electrical to the braking and the piss poor design of
the body from a performance aspect.
Then throw in my perceived wants and needs.
I've got 10 years in this project I have yet to drive,
AND it still needs lots of little things to make it right.

How's that for a rant my brain keeps playing over and over.

Its been a long and frustrating time as life and its
demands take precedence over my car hobby.
I only buy parts for it as money allows, hopefully this
is the year when things finally come together.
I don't know how much time you have in your project
or how far along you are, but if you hang on you will
one day finish it.

If it's really too much for you as a project at this stage,
you might consider selling it and buying a car that's
farther along or finished.
These cars are still a bargain compared to some of the others.
It's just as expensive to fix up the other brands as it is to do
do these.

Its to much time and money to make them all original. I bought a running driving 73 duster Slant6 and it is fine the way it is (for now) if something is not original Who cares, it will never be worth much anyway and i dont want a car where i half to always worry about something happeing to it.

And prices are sometimes Retarded, people think they have Gold. I was lucky enough to get some Parts at a really Cheap price by Alaskan T/A. So there are still deals out there.

yea, tough time of the year too - snow and cold makes it miserable. I just checked your gallery - suck it up bud, you've done some good work so far.. enjoy the challenge of it all and the wins when you get them. Make yourself happy and don't sweat the small $#!t..

Try putting out a "Wanted" ad for the parts you need. There are way more guys that have good stuff just sitting in their garage or shed that are willing to part with them than there are actual parts listed for sale. Sometimes you even get a better deal than if it was actively being sold.

Sometimes I think about selling off my classics, and buying a new Challenger. Then I see it costs $3000 to put headers on it. ( $1000 for the headers, $1000 for the exhaust so the headers perform properly, $1000 for the tuner to make it all work properly.) .Ok, that may be a little high, but you get the point. Taking on a classic car is a lot of responsibility. Things break, wear out, or are made poorly. Plus, as you've said, parts are hard to find. Only when you are buying. If you are selling, you can't get rid of the parts. New or old, cars can be a pain. Just take a break. What else are you going to do on weekends? Watch HGTV with the wife?

duster parts shouldn't be that difficult to find if you know where to look. i have a 67 valiant 2 door sedan. finding a windshield is worse than finding a needle in a haystack. same for some other parts. but take your time and enjoy the build.

This hobby can be frustrating at times but as we all know, very rewarding as well. The little wins can make our week. I have hit the wall on my BC more than once, when I do I go fishing and the old girl is still waiting when I come home. The financial aspect is like a slow (or fast) bleed and I have to tell you there are times I think "what the hell was I thinking" Overall it is a hobby and has to be fun. If it wasn't fun for me I would be out in a New York second. Do what you have to do, there is no wrong decision here.
Best of luck----DR:coffee2:

I just posted not to long ago in this regard. I too get down and frustrated. My depression dosent make things better at times. This forum is a great place for encouragement , pat on the back and support. You will do it and you will look back and reflect in glad you kept it.Im at the point of very close on getting it on the road. I too, 7years in.......Mines a driver and that's it. I got it to drive it. The idea of posting a want add is good. Ive sold, purchased and even givin away parts to help out. Shipping sucks especially heavy stuff. Keep the faith, chin up, relax and take a break.....All the best to you, Edd

Try putting out a "Wanted" ad for the parts you need. There are way more guys that have good stuff just sitting in their garage or shed that are willing to part with them than there are actual parts listed for sale. Sometimes you even get a better deal than if it was actively being sold.

^^^^^^:cheers:

.It's the fact that parts are getting too damn hard to find.
And when I do find them,many people want an arm and a leg for them.Or the parts are located in another state where I am unable to pick them up.

You have got to tell me that you are joking

1677869,0YmgUWk+z4frEV8760wZ8Ti6jmvRvjY4R8WtsRtynnfuwHdtONkGV7fCXrh_NOS7eKR+MnLdciUDV5eX5Nv_LQ==.jpg

I just got back from Gargoile and Craigsunlisted

"What I found" The Fort Collins / Denver combined population is close to a million people, counting some of the outlying areas. THIS IS MORE THAN HALF THE POPULATION of my entire state!!!!

Try finding Mopar parts in the Spokamentro area, if you think parts are hard to find. I just spent a few minutes on "your" Craigslist

http://fortcollins.craigslist.org/search/sso?is_paid=all&search_distance_type=mi&query=mopar

Here's one ad I found

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5358590587.html

???Might wanna at least call

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5393422078.html

Holley tunnel ram, 2 and a quarter. I realize you might not want but that doesn't seem very overpriced....

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5399352000.html

B body, but doesn't seem out of line to me

http://denver.craigslist.org/pts/5379180079.html

Ya know you need to take "a few days off" and do something else. You are talking to a guy here, who spent my "haydays" BEFORE there was an internet, an ebay, a craigslist. Back when I was raisn' 'ell you found parts by word of mouth, the local newspapers and "nickel" ads, and wherever you could. Obviously "things were newer" but that fact alone didn't necessarily mean you could FIND parts.

Seems to me you are in the golden field of used parts compared to us out here "on in the woods." The only big population centers here are way over on the coast........hundreds of miles away. For me, and my health, this is a two or three day trip. I can no longer sit in a car and drive for 10-12-15 hours.

=========================

So what DO you do?

Take the advise of some above..........get the car RUNNING and DRIVEABLE, and don't sweat the rusty trim you want to replace, or that missing door handle. Drive it ANYWAY.

I know "it's tough" when you go to a car show and see a detailed restored old Mopar that "looks like new." But you don't know the back story. That car might have been 10, 15 years in the making, some of them MORE. And many of those cars are "hanger queens", "trailer queens" and "car show" queens, and don't get driven more than a few blocks, if that.

I have pieces and parts on this 72 build from all across the country! #-o

My car has been finished for years. Now it's simple maintenance and up keep. It's gotten a few trophies at local car shows, I had a number of other projects and have either finished them and sold them, or made them driveable and legal, and sold them.

I have thoughts of a new project, but being retired, I'm too busy to see another project car through. In fact, the only thing that even interests me now would be to build an old truck. Pre-1950, and brand not withstanding. Dodge, Plymouth, Chevy, GMC, Ford, Stud, International, etc. are all fair game, though I know there are after market mfgrs. who make everything for a Ford or Chevy, and they will both be the easiest and least expensive to build.
But, I still have a couple of MoPar truck engines laying around. A 318 and a 383, so an old Dodge or Plymouth truck would be nice, too. That's said, I'm extremely non committal are starting anything at this stage of my life.

The Holley Pro Dominator? Overpriced? Have you seen what Weiand wants for theres brand new? You can not get a ProDominator new any more. Superior inatke by far. Wanna race hard, thats the intake. Not the Weiand.

Price out NEW intakes. Let me know what you think.

The Holley Pro Dominator? Overpriced? Have you seen what Weiand wants for theres brand new? You can not get a ProDominator new any more. Superior inatke by far. Wanna race hard, thats the intake. Not the Weiand.

Price out NEW intakes. Let me know what you think.

You talkin to me? No, you misunderstood. I was pointing that ad out as a GOOD example.

When you have people puttin ads on here thinkin they are gonna get rich sellin fifty year old car parts, and junk that you can get in any local antique shop for a tenth of their price, you begin to see how people think.

There's so much overpriced crap on this site for sale right now, both automotive and non automotive related, it's pitiful. Some from supposedly "good" members and all just wantin to rip people off.

It's easy to get into a slump and be frustrated by this hobby.
And that's exactly what it is, a hobby.
Have a look at the car in my build thread in the link found at the bottom of this post.
Read it carefully.
If you can read between the lines, it shows a lot of frustration on building a car you love with what you have, found, traded for, sacrificed, and endured a long time to build.
No, it isn't perfect by any means, and it never will be. But it's mine and i made it.
I do drive it regularly and enjoy it a lot. Flaws and all.
Will it ever be finished? Never.
Is it exactly as i envisioned it over the years of dreaming and doing the build the way i wanted to build it originally? No. Not by a long shot. That's why it never got done or even barely started on in the past.
Will it even make it there?
I seriously doubt it.
But my point is that i finally decided to do something with the car, even though it involved a lot of compromises.
So, i have a car that needs a 440, Dana 60, a paint job, interior done, upgraded cooling system, wheels and tires, etc. etc.
We all have our dreams.
Reality is another thing.
At least i'm driving it.........and that says a lot.
The rest will happen if it comes it comes. If not, it's no loss.
At least i got over my funk and at least got the car on the road.
It only took me 27 years or so to realize this, and a year to get it on the road. Now it's a work in progress.
This year it's the 30 year anniversary of me getting the car BTW.
I seriously would thank my friends and family for helping me and understanding.
That had a great influence on me biting the bullet and doing the build in the first place.
And thank you to my friends at FABO to give me ideas and help me keep going.
P.M me if you or anyone else wants to talk about this issue, and we'll talk.

-
Back