Thinking of swapping mufflers but got a question pertaining to my 340

-
Better to be playing hockey than your own personal stick by yourself.....

71DD340, you are correct Sir!

How much power is the engine making?
What is the intended purpose of the car?
What is the normal driving RPM?

Better to be playing hockey than your own personal stick by yourself.....

71DD340, you are correct Sir!

How much power is the engine making?
What is the intended purpose of the car?
What is the normal driving RPM?

Engine was dyno'd at 400hp and 400 ft lbs. 100% a street car, would like to run the track a time or two.

Lol normal driving is between idle and 5,000 rpm. (Occasionally) Normally if im just cruising i shift around 3k ish

Heres the current accurate performance muffler.

IMG_1344.JPG

Heres the gibson performance mwa muffler. The difference is quite noticeable

IMG_1345.JPG

Last edited:
It's going to be a LOT louder.

The first one is called a 3-pass muffler. With a 17 inch case, the actual amount of packing in there totals over 4ft. That is a lot of quieting.
The second is a straight thru, and with a typical 16 inch case, is only 1/3 the length of the Accurate. While this may not equate to 3 times the sound level, it will be very noticeable.

I have a pair if Dynomax turbo 3 pass muffs. 3" in/3"out. No drone. Very good quieting.When I hit the gas they do make a very pleasant racket,all the way to 7000plus Rpm. And when I take them off I don't notice any difference from the engine, other than it sure sounds nasty with just a 230* cam.

Last edited:
Thats fine, really the only time it will be much louder is when your on it. I had a gibson performance mild muffler on my bronco and when I swapped to the gibson mwa it increased a little bit at idle and just a hair while cruising but very noticeable difference on the throttle. The demon sounds good now just wanted to try them and see if i could get a little throatier sound. If it doesnt work im only out 150 bucks. Normal price per muffler on gibsons website is around 100 bucks. Found em for 75 ish on jegs free ship plus they are stainless

When choosing a muffler on sound, it is very hard to recommend one to someone on line or in person. I always suggest, go to a car meet or the race track and listen to them all. When you hear "That Sound", ask the driver what muffler is in use. But, also ask about his engine. Things like higher or lower compression, small or large (long or short as well) exhaust tracks, cam size etc... effect the sound.
The second quietest muffler I have ever used that has performance to it are the dyno max super turbo mufflers. (Same ones TTI exhaust uses in there exhaust systems) They are on my '79 Dodge Magnum that has a 5.9 and bolt on parts, no performance cam.

The headers are Hooker Super Comps. 1-3/4 into a true dual 2-1/2 out to the bumper. Something I can definitely live with for hours at a time. And that was the goal because I love to DRIVE the car. I can sit in that car for hours in a clip.

The most silent ones were a Walker brand. (pictured below for sizes of the muffler.) Very long. Closest to a stock sound of silent I could get. Figment was a problem because of there length. They were also 2-1/2 in and out. But super quite they were. I could hear the auto trans working.

Longer the case, the quieter it will be.
I have used short "Sound Effects" mufflers. Nice sound, not as quite as the long case... of course...

IMG_0532.JPG

Before: accurate true dual exhaust with accurate high performance mufflers

After: accurate true dual exhaust with gibson performance mwa mufflers

-
Back