Thinking outloud!

-

OldmanRick

Reaction score
What about this Unicorn or what ever there called building Stang and Camaro bodies for 13-14K. What about some 68 cuda's, 69 dart's and 70-72 Duster body in white's. And no we're only gonna pay 7-8K for'um. Think us Mopar guy's finally deserve a break!

Sorry, just venting here, but wish it could still happen!

Geezuz I wish people would learn to post links so I don't have to Google for 10 minutes to find out whut TF we're talkin' 'bout

http://www.dynacornclassicbodies.com/classic2.html

So let's think about this. You're gonna spend 15K on a body, no glass, no hood/ fenders/ trunk lid, and CERTAINLY nothing else

So now what, you end up with about 40 grand in this project? And just what do you have when you're done? You certainly cannot title it as an original car, it has to be titled as some sort of "kit" or homebuilt.

So even if you build it as a "hemi replica" is the resale market going to be that hot?

i could build a finished car or buy one for that kind of money. i just bought a 99% rust free, original paint , not one ounce of bondo , duster for 2500.00. running and driving. there are still great deals out there on rust free builders.

Sorry 67, i'm not real tech smart on links and stuff.

73, great buy there.

I realize most of us can build/create works of art from what we have for a reasonable price and a lot of hard work. Been doin' it and we'll keep doin' it. I'm sure there would still be a market for new metal albeit fairly small. My point was that us A body mopar guys don't get the same respect as the other brands.

My point was that us A body mopar guys don't get the same respect as the other brands.

I don't know, it seems to be paying off "on the street." My car is NOT show quality, it's a pretty "dirty driver." I am ALWAYS getting comments from people, from 12 year old boys to 80 year old men, and from 15 year old girls to some VERY attractive ladies.

I just tell 'em "I wanted a little more fun before I'm too old." And das da trooff

every time i stop at a gas station or auto parts or tire shop, i have people telling me they are in love with this thing or something else, im always getting nice comments, it gets noticed. this car takes good pics , but the paint is almost 40 years old and it has its share of bumps, bruises and door dings. im always suprised at the attention this car gets.

Guys, i love both your cars and im sure most think the're cool too!
When i said we don't get a much respect i wasn't speaking in general terms. My temporary frustration was aimed at aftermarket type companies
that always seem to lag behind when it comes to developing and supplying
certain parts for Mopars.

i am suprised at the fact that a lot parts for these A bodies are not reproduced. i think its due in large to the fact that these cars dont bring the money that the restored 68-70 B Bodies and E Bodies bring, and that there is not as much as a demand because there are still many A bodies out there. i kind of like the fact that you cant buy a Duster or Demon "in a box". just as they dont reproduce 71 and up B Body parts either. its only a matter of time (it could be a while) before you will be able to order a second generation fish or 70 and up duster/dart practically whole.

Duster or Demon "in a box"....yeah your right that would be bad. I had just run across a ad for those Camaro and Mustang bodies when i was tired and i guess it just hit me the wrong way. I'm over it now :smile:.

Have a good one, gotta go make the wife some Mother's Day dinner, Later

Duster or Demon "in a box"....yeah your right that would be bad. I had just run across a ad for those Camaro and Mustang bodies when i was tired and i guess it just hit me the wrong way. I'm over it now :smile:.

Have a good one, gotta go make the wife some Mother's Day dinner, Later

lol , i know what you mean though, i kind of have mixed thoughts about it.

While I appreciate being able to get parts I really don't think it's appropriate to just buy a whole body, paint it, put the parts in in and have a car.

although it's an entrirely different thing to buy every piece necessary and kit car it, that is just impressive and skillful.

it would almost be like a giant expensive model car kit . in some crazy dream, it would almost be kind of cool to have every part brand new and even painted. with only having to assemble it all. lol

In the early 80s i helped a friend build a 1923 Ford T-bucket from a kit from Total Performance. Very good quality and was a lotta fun. We did everything but the paint and interior, SBC, Turbo 350 & 8" ford rear.

Still there is something about the chase for the parts and the repair of used stuff that is very satisfying, Hey that's what makes us all hotrodders:thumleft:

In the early 80s i helped a friend build a 1923 Ford T-bucket from a kit from Total Performance. Very good quality and was a lotta fun. We did everything but the paint and interior, SBC, Turbo 350 & 8" ford rear.

Still there is something about the chase for the parts and the repair of used stuff that is very satisfying, Hey that's what makes us all hotrodders:thumleft:

in the late 70s (77?) i helped my grandfather put together a bradley GT kit car using a super beetle chassis. that was kind of like a giant model car kit. you ordered the fiberglass body in whatever color you want, and they ship you everything but the bug pan and motor. it even came with their own slotted mag wheels.

i have spent so many years chasing parts, parting cars out and hunting stuff down, its amazing how the internet has changed the very way i hunt parts.

Where I work we are the #1 Dynacorn dealer in the nation. Dynacorn reproduces MANY parts for all of the "popular" models. Such as Camaro, first and second generation. Firebirds, first and second gen. Mustangs, 64 to 71. Novas 63 to 74. Impalas 62 to 67. Early chevy trucks. Gto's, cutlass, and chevelle 64 to 72. They make very nice products.

As far as the "shells" go. They have the first gen camaro coupe and convertible. The mustangs from 64 to 68. 70 challengers. 68 to 72 chevelle.There is also talk about the first gen nova body being released. You would be surprised how many of these shells we sell. Some folks have a bunch of money and would rather start with a brand new car. I cant say I blame them.

As of now there are zero plans to build any A body parts, or shells for that matter. Which in some ways I think is a good thing.

Check out our website www.restorationperformance.com

Dynacorn has a challenger shell, but again, at $16,000 for a BARE shell, I could buy a good #2 or a SOLID #3 runnig, driving true 340 car and have money left over to replace a quarter panel, if necessary.

I hear what your saying. Most folks who buy these shells are usually going with a custom or resto mod theme. And believe me, we have sold a bunch of em.

Yep; I have seen some of your work and I will have to say it is good.I'm not a fan of the -build an aftermarket car.But in defense of your company,where is the line for"original"? Is it when you start putting aftermarket parts on an original?Or is it all NOS or NORS parts?Clearly the Mustang and Camaro group have already went down this road-looks like we are going there also.

-
Back