third member...repair

-

highflyer

Reaction score
So lets talk shop here..For the person that has never rebuilt a third member or had one rebuilt, what is one looking at in cost providing a reliable shop is found.what is the cost for parts bearings cups and seals.then what is the cost for gear set if a set is needed and then what is the normal cost for setting one t/m up..tx ..j

Jim, may be worth having a conversation with Bad440 (Mike). He's doing that exact work himself as I type & recently picked up the gauges to set the wear pattern. Just a thought.

gear sets are all over the map as far as price. i just paid 189.99 plus shipping for a set of richmonds. then 99.99 for a rebuild kit. that does not include clutches (I have a detroit locker). i have a 489 case and spent 45.00 for a crush sleave eliminator kit also. I have a friend that does them for his race team. he did mine for a 6-pack of corona and a pizza for lunch. took about 3-4 hrs.

also cant find new gear set for 41 case 3.23 set..doesnt anyone make them for it..id like to use my old set but not if their trash..wont know till i get them out..lets see..w/e job...align f/e and r and r rear third member...whew..j

also cant find new gear set for 41 case 3.23 set..doesnt anyone make them for it..id like to use my old set but not if their trash..wont know till i get them out..lets see..w/e job...align f/e and r and r rear third member...whew..j

Nitro is the only company I know of that makes anything steeper than 3.55 for the 741 case. Might be the only game in town for 3.23

I know Motive Gear makes a 3:55 set for a 741.

Just loaded up a 489 case, got all of the stuff from Dr. Diff (Cass). I had the case, caps, adjusters, and pinion yoke. Not cheap. Here is a breakdown of pricing. Can't comment on the shop labor to put it all together.

Motive 3.55-L $185 or US Gear 3.55-L $205
Repro clutch sure-grip $375
489-E bearing/seal/shim kit $100
Crush sleeve eliminator kit $20
Set ring gear bolts $15

-
Back