this damn car is freaking killing me.

-
damn thing runs great, drives and handles great. just won't hole its oil. just cant find the leak. now I'm suspecting the oil pan gasket. its a jegs 1 piece that I've never used before. wondering if it moved or something. just not sure. can't find it on my back or when its up on a lift so I'm pulling the damn motor to look it over. putting a conventional pan gasket on it even if its now where its leaking. with the motor out I'll be able to see everything better and hopefully find the damn leak.

down to a month before this thing has to go on a 4000 mile road trip. i have 500 miles on it so once back in I'm confident it will make that trip as ling as the oil leak is fixed. if not we will take my 08 mustang or our 19 mustang convertible. leaning to the 19 convertible. that thing is so comfortable to drive and drives so well its incredible. that lil echo boost has plenty of pep too.

told jamie if the dart doesn't make it to sick66 then next year I'll make sure we can drive it to Mississippi for cruising the coast.

damn car is set up to cruise distance and it needs to do it soon. :)

View attachment 1716298966
You can’t use that gasket with a standard pan. The back of the gasket is too thick and will split once you tighten the pan bolts.

We find a lot of leaks at the dyno with a little air pressure in the crankcase and some soapy water.

I have some engine builders who pressure check them now before they send them to the dyno. This has cut down the number of leaks we have at the dyno. More time dynoing and less time fixing leaks.

Last edited:
well it didn't split but i think it deformed the pan.
Put the right gasket on. Problem solved. The pan has to be in excellent shape. Clean everything with acetone using clean white paper towel or better yet, lint free towel. You can use layout dye to test fit the contact patch. Do not overuse silicone!

well its back together. I'll take it for a ride tomorrow. installed the denso alt. i e had laying around since march. its sweet. 14.2 volts at idle, headlights shouldn't dim any more. lol. have to wipe a ton of **** down but its together and running again.

IMG_20240909_202500.jpg

I had one of the full later style gaskets on an early 360 with a kevko pan, leaked like the exxon valdez all over the dyno floor.

Put the cork/rbber ends in, no leaks.

nice work, i like the denso alternators. I think the 4 runner with a groove pulley are good choice.

-
Back