This is how you design a valve cover

-

rustycowll69

Reaction score
I don't know if you can make it out, but the outside(bottom) edge of the v. cover has a really clever "drip edge" molded into the cover. This is what I've always thought old stamped steel v. covers should have had years ago.
Also included is a pic of Lt head valve train. Amazingly clean. Car has 149k miles, I suspect someone has been into this engine before, but I don't know it for a fact. It was bought a few thousand miles ago.
20220123_145647.jpg
20220123_143827.jpg

Are you talking about what is in yellow below?

upload_2022-1-24_7-2-20.png

That motor is petty clean. Probably had the heads done. Don't some of them have a valve seat issue?

View attachment 1715858258

That motor is petty clean. Probably had the heads done. Don't some of them have a valve seat issue?
Yes, the lip highlighted in yellow. Thank you for that. I don't have that capability.
Yes, the '03 to '08 have a potential valve seat issue, usually associated with an overheating event.
I wouldn't be surprised if it had been gotten into at some point. I bought the former cop car off a county surplus auction. They will not give you service records. I noticed that the valve covers may have been swapped side for side, because the UPC(?) code sticker is normally(I think) on the left front of engine, and mine was on right rear of engine.

Are those plastic? It’s a lot easier to include that in a plastic molded part than it would be to incorporate in a stamped steel part, without adding extra assembly steps.

Are those plastic? It’s a lot easier to include that in a plastic molded part than it would be to incorporate in a stamped steel part, without adding extra assembly steps.
Yeah, some kind of thermoplastic, I think. It looks like the same material Carter used for making the TQ bowls, bakelite(?), but I could be wrong.

Yes, it's reinforced thermoplastic. Strong and somewhat flexible. It's definitely not bakelite. That stuff is rigid and is pretty easy to crack. They didn't make Thermoquads out of bakelite either.

78324C63-6F65-4364-ACC5-50B5EE146D2D.jpeg

View attachment 1715858258

Yes, the lip highlighted in yellow. Thank you for that. I don't have that capability.
Yes, the '03 to '08 have a potential valve seat issue, usually associated with an overheating event.
I wouldn't be surprised if it had been gotten into at some point. I bought the former cop car off a county surplus auction. They will not give you service records. I noticed that the valve covers may have been swapped side for side, because the UPC(?) code sticker is normally(I think) on the left front of engine, and mine was on right rear of engine.
Here is a picture of a 5.7 Hemi head with the intake valve seat coming out. May need to zoom in. This was one I just saw in the junk yard in an 07 Ram 1500. Head was removed and sitting in back seat. Next to it was a timing cover with a brand new water pump installed. Signs point to overheating.

-
Back