this is the future of our hobby

-

booker t jones

Reaction score
the old guys are dieing their familys are selling off thir junk in 15 hours I will be at an absolute no reserve estate auction 84 vanagon and a partially restored 4b international truck I hope to leave with the coronet and the vw bug both realy solid cars cars will not be starte which is fine with me got stuff to fix the
DSCF8738.JPG
m this is the only way I'm finding buyable cars in about the last 5 years

That's how I bought my car. Guy owned a wrecking yard...all the decent Mopars that came in were taken over to his own property. He had 40-50 cars there. When he died, his son sold off all the cars.

I picked up a really clean 1967 Plymouth belvedere 4 door on Craigslist last year. Nice body, 400 big block, new interior, $1400

I picked up a really clean 1967 Plymouth belvedere 4 door on Craigslist last year. Nice body, 400 big block, new interior, $1400
my father in law died at 92 about two years ago he had a ton of collectibles a 29 model a cabrolet w4with original paint in really good condition a restored 35 chevy pick up a total of 37 juke boxes musical instruments guns I worked 10 hours a day 7 days a week moving this stuff and selling a lake house

guess I'm like a car vulture know where a marina blue 67 ss chevelle is in a carport and a a12 green superbee in a basement garageboth been sitting since the 70s both owners in their 70s in bad health they wont sell

guess I'm like a car vulture know where a marina blue 67 ss chevelle is in a carport and a a12 green superbee in a basement garageboth been sitting since the 70s both owners in their 70s in bad health they wont sell

Sometimes, because just having the car gives them memories of good times past. Maybe just having it there is what keeps them alive. Be patient, these gems will become available. Hopefully their family wont sell to the scrap yard when they pass.

Sometimes, because just having the car gives them memories of good times past. Maybe just having it there is what keeps them alive. Be patient, these gems will become available. Hopefully their family wont sell to the scrap yard when they pass.
I'm very patient I find about 2 cars a year just not finding no 4 speed cars for sale

I lost out on a nice 64 malibu 2 door hardtop. It was a power pack 283 4 speed positraction non SS car. Sat in the guys driveway in my neighborhood for the 12 years i lived in my house. Never moved, whitewalls streaking onto the pavement. I enquired about it a few times, left a phone number , got the same old story. "I'm gonna restore it someday" i was thinking to myself "ya better hurry up because its returning to its base element". After the guy died, wife found all the phone numbers he had from people who enquired, sold it to highest bidder. $3,500. I lost out on that quiet auction lol. My bid back then was $1,500. Not bad for a mostly rust free tTexas car.

Last edited:
Yes people die. Those who have any material things must leave those things behind for somebody deal with. Nothing new here.

I have 2 older brothers, Both have a stash of cars,motorcycles,parts and tons of tools.Both are in their late 60's.I tell my sisters-in laws that even at 50 cents on the dollar when these guys pass(if they go first) they will be very wealthy women...As far as stuff goes,,I got nothing compared to them.

I have 2 older brothers, Both have a stash of cars,motorcycles,parts and tons of tools.Both are in their late 60's.I tell my sisters-in laws that even at 50 cents on the dollar when these guys pass(if they go first) they will be very wealthy women...As far as stuff goes,,I got nothing compared to them.

I plan to start moving my tools to my son as he grows up and i get older, and start liquidating my stash of stuff a little at a time, this way my wife wont have to deal with it when i croak

I plan to start moving my tools to my son as he grows up and i get older, and start liquidating my stash of stuff a little at a time, this way my wife wont have to deal with it when i croak
I'm also in the process of organizing - tagging and liquidating as I'm getting older I would hate to leave someone a mess to sort out if something should happen to me

A Vanagon? Ugh. It should be crushed. One of the worst designed engines EVER.

I never have liked estate sales. I don't care what the circumstances are. I would feel like I was taking advantage of someone. Not for me.

I never have liked estate sales. I don't care what the circumstances are. I would feel like I was taking advantage of someone. Not for me.

I always felt that way too. But now we are dealing with an estate and would love to have some people take advantage of us to help pay the MIL's crushing debt.

I always felt that way too. But now we are dealing with an estate and would love to have some people take advantage of us to help pay the MIL's crushing debt.

I can completely understand that.

you probably right they should have crushed them and sent the family a check for scrap value

No, You said that, not me. I simply stated my personal opinion. I am sure there are plenty of people who will continue to buy. Just not me.

Those "I'll restore it someday, after I get over my diabetes and weight problems at 75" types really irk me... even if they are holding onto it for sentimental reasons at least have the good faith to sell it to a promising youngster instead of hoarding it until you pass. The lessons learned and experiences of the kid you sell it to would be worth a whole lot more than a pile of scrap sitting in your backyard rotting away. IMO, at least.

I will preserve a car make it drivable if feasible but restore one loseing propostion I try to find cars and parts for people to restore them

-
Back