THIS might be YOUR COMPRESSOR!!

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
.........Or maybe not......... Ya know people sometimes criticize copy and paste as if it's all "fake news." Only this time, we are in my back "yard." (Well wrecking yard, anyhow)

This is a "Rand 4000" --------just change the name to "Binford" LOL that a friend gave me. He said there was a recall, and circled a tiny leak about 1/8" in dia on the bottom. Only reason I took it (stupid) was it's free, it still ran, and the pump might be useful. This is a 2 1/2 hp or so direct drive, noisy, oil-less. Unfortunately it needs the bulky cover, because it ducts cooling air. The one I own is not this way. The pump/ motor are pretty compact and exposed. Stupid.

Only reason I cut the tank is to save the pump mounting platform.

The point is this tank never had ANY rust protection and this is what you end up with. I hammered on the "tiny leak" and it immediately opened up to the size of a half quarter with just a tap or two. CAREFUL guys, this is what shop explosions are made of..............

compressor tank explosion - Google Search

IMG_1519.JPG

IMG_1520.JPG

IMG_1522.JPG

IMG_1523.JPG

Yep, its important to keep your tanks drained daily. I doubt any of them have any coatings inside. I have an 80 gal quincy and built a small compressor building on the side of the garage. It also has an automatic drain which works really well.

I seen the after damage caused by a small tank compressor on a service truck.
The driver of the truck said he thought he was dead when it came apart, and the guy he was changing the tire for pooped his pants, litterly.

I don't use my compressor that often, so I keep the bleeder valve slightly open so that when I shut down, the water runs out. The bleeder valve is tough to reach at the bottom of the tank so this works for me.

Yep, its important to keep your tanks drained daily. I doubt any of them have any coatings inside. I have an 80 gal quincy and built a small compressor building on the side of the garage. It also has an automatic drain which works really well.
yep. VERY important to drain tank when not in use.

I think if I live long enough to afford a new one, I'll "POR-15" or something to the inside

I don't use my compressor that often, so I keep the bleeder valve slightly open so that when I shut down, the water runs out. The bleeder valve is tough to reach at the bottom of the tank so this works for me.

I piped mine out even to the side of the tank, easy to reach .

I mounted my vertical unit on skids made from a 4x4 plus a 2x4.

It makes it WAY easier to move and easier to reach the drain.

I have a plastic coffee can under it temporarily, as I'm getting ready to move into a bigger shop and when there, I'll pipe the drain to the outside.

-
Back