This was a nice running little engine

-

pittsburghracer

FABO Gold Member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Rebuilt three times and pulled to be rebuilt for the fourth time Matt needed an engine so we put it back in service. It went 6.41 on this pass but I think he ended up going 6.38 during the Halloween Classic this year. I know he went 10.11 during the Father’s Day Mopar race at Keystone the next year. This was the old block I wore out two sets of stones honing it on its third rebuild. 3200 pounds with a 727 and 4.10 gears in his 8 3/4 rearend. I can’t wait to see him out in this car again.

What's the converter flash at? It's really cool the relationship and the excitement you have.

Rebuilt three times and pulled to be rebuilt for the fourth time Matt needed an engine so we put it back in service. It went 6.41 on this pass but I think he ended up going 6.38 during the Halloween Classic this year. I know he went 10.11 during the Father’s Day Mopar race at Keystone the next year. This was the old block I wore out two sets of stones honing it on its third rebuild. 3200 pounds with a 727 and 4.10 gears in his 8 3/4 rearend. I can’t wait to see him out in this car again.

Hey pitsburghracer,

I would definitely call you and yours hard core racers! Awesome to see your dedication to the sport!

Quick question for the uninitiated....

What components do you usually replace when you rebuild your race motors ?

Thanks!

Hey pitsburghracer,

I would definitely call you and yours hard core racers! Awesome to see your dedication to the sport!

Quick question for the uninitiated....

What components do you usually replace when you rebuild your race motors ?

Thanks!

Bearings, rings, brush hone bores, reshim valve springs, touch up valve job, new seals, new gaskets of course, I go through carb every spring especially now that I’m running alcohol, new floats every two years, hopefully cam and lifters look good, clean flush and check roller lifters if running them, if in doubt send out for rebuild. I think that’s it. Ohhh and clean, clean, and clean again.

How many runs do you usually get between rebuilds? I’ll be switching to alky for the first time on new build next year. How often do you change oil? I know getting it hot end of day is important

How many runs do you usually get between rebuilds? I’ll be switching to alky for the first time on new build next year. How often do you change oil? I know getting it hot end of day is important

Getting it hot 30-45 minutes before competition helps as does turning off the fans and water pump and opening up the lean out valve on the way back from a pass helps too. I did a lot of racing this year with hopefully one more weekend to go and I’ve changed my oil twice. Penn Grade (old Kendal) works great with alcohol. Sorry I’m not real good at keeping track of passes.

Getting it hot 30-45 minutes before competition helps as does turning off the fans and water pump and opening up the lean out valve on the way back from a pass helps too. I did a lot of racing this year with hopefully one more weekend to go and I’ve changed my oil twice. Penn Grade (old Kendal) works great with alcohol. Sorry I’m not real good at keeping track of passes.
Thanks for the info, really looking forward to running alky for better consistency. You run a lot so despite passes how about in terms of years ?

Thanks for the info, really looking forward to running alky for better consistency. You run a lot so despite passes how about in terms of years ?

My 422 was pushed out to 5 years and is on a stand waiting 10 months for Molnar rods. I hope not to push this one past 3 years especially because it’s a stock block and I would like to check things over.

My 422 was pushed out to 5 years and is on a stand waiting 10 months for Molnar rods. I hope not to push this one past 3 years especially because it’s a stock block and I would like to check things over.
Considering you race a lot that’s getting some good life from them. Did you notice a consistency gain when you switched to alky ?

When you make the switch over to alcohol if you need any help if I can help at all I will. APD in Ohio makes a very nice carb. A lean out valve can be as simple as a 1/2 house ball valve, a few fittings, and some rubber hose routed and mounted nearby so you can reach it strapped in. A stand alone EGT can be bought at summit and ran to one header tube. Exhaust temps in the right range help with keeping moisture out of your oil.

Considering you race a lot that’s getting some good life from them. Did you notice a consistency gain when you switched to alky ?

Mostly consistency. But I’ve seen some massive grains for guys that haven’t had their previous gas carb set up right. I used an O2 sensor to help with that.

When you make the switch over to alcohol if you need any help if I can help at all I will. APD in Ohio makes a very nice carb. A lean out valve can be as simple as a 1/2 house ball valve, a few fittings, and some rubber hose routed and mounted nearby so you can reach it strapped in. A stand alone EGT can be bought at summit and ran to one header tube. Exhaust temps in the right range help with keeping moisture out of your oil.
Thanks, this motor will be efi with injectors. Not sure how that lean out is tuned into it. Will have to figure that out. Most likely chassis dyno or something to help get the tune figured out. I was going to run apd carbs but decided on efi so I can switch between alky and e85 for street driving and just change the tune

Thanks, this motor will be efi with injectors. Not sure how that lean out is tuned into it. Will have to figure that out. Most likely chassis dyno or something to help get the tune figured out. I was going to run apd carbs but decided on efi so I can switch between alky and e85 for street driving and just change the tune

That I can’t help you with. Sorry.

Do you run a top lube or straight alky ? Heard mix thoughts on that

The friend I buy my drums of alcohol from dumps it in when I pick up my fuel. I haven’t had to add my own for years. It’s jumped in price from 165.00 to 210.00 since early 2021. That’s 54 gallons.

I have never run alcohol yet but while searching some questions I had this thread came upon where @pittsburghracer answered most of them already. I have one more question for clarification though. When running alcohol with a carburetor, do you have to drain the alcohol from the carb if the engine is not run for a week or two?

I have never run alcohol yet but while searching some questions I had this thread came upon where @pittsburghracer answered most of them already. I have one more question for clarification though. When running alcohol with a carburetor, do you have to drain the alcohol from the carb if the engine is not run for a week or two?

Absolutely not. If you are looking for an APD converted 850 Holley let me know. Ram 9.70’s with it in the 1/4 and 5.98 in the 1/8.

If you don't mind giving a parts run-down again, it'd be interesting! heads/work? intake? fuel? compression? rods/pistons? I assume it was a production 360 crank? RPM? who's rockers?

If you don't mind giving a parts run-down again, it'd be interesting! heads/work? intake? fuel? compression? rods/pistons? I assume it was a production 360 crank? RPM? who's rockers?

No sir this one was a stroker engine.

.030 over 360 with Diamond flat top pistons
K1 crank and rods
Edelbrock open chamber heads ported by me
Super Victor ported by me
750 APD alcohol carb
.650 roller cam
4.10 gear (8 3/4 rearend)
727 transmission
5600 stall converter
3200 pounds at the line
Shifted 6700-6800 rpm
Caltracks with Rancho shock
Stock frontend with 90/10 shocks
Frames connected and roll bar
10 inch radial
Ran close to same transbrake or footbrake.

Ohhhh Harlan Sharp 1.5 rockers.

No sir this one was a stroker engine.

.030 over 360 with Diamond flat top pistons
K1 crank and rods
Edelbrock open chamber heads ported by me
Super Victor ported by me
750 APD alcohol carb
.650 roller cam
4.10 gear (8 3/4 rearend)
727 transmission
5600 stall converter
3200 pounds at the line
Shifted 6700-6800 rpm
Caltracks with Rancho shock
Stock frontend with 90/10 shocks
Frames connected and roll bar
10 inch radial
Ran close to same transbrake or footbrake.

Ohhhh Harlan Sharp 1.5 rockers.
I'd swore you had a 360 with a RBrown flat tappet running well into the 10's with eddys in this same car? On alchy

I'd swore you had a 360 with a RBrown flat tappet running well into the 10's with eddys in this same car? On alchy

That was another engine
.030 over 360
Stock crank
App .630 roller cam (Reed cam I’ll try to post cam card)
Damn Comp roller lifter that broke tie bar after app 59 runs
SPS pistons
Molnar rods
Same heads as above engine
Victor340 ported by me
750 APD carb
Shifted 6700-6800 rpm.
Ran 6.54 four different times at two different tracks. Keystone and Norwalk.

D65046AC-506F-4D4F-BBB2-A8079E98732F.jpeg

90B89A1A-AB79-4188-B996-D62B735B2190.jpeg

F890437E-1981-4732-97A1-94F267D5A4DC.jpeg

B5C236CC-D212-46E9-8810-978ECD8F7397.jpeg

0BF1F609-500D-4C46-B989-FF15CA3B9BEB.jpeg

@pittsburghracer how much compression in that 408?

I honestly don’t run compression numbers since I run alcohol but both of the engines in this post were flat tops advertised at app 11.1 comp but both block were never cut or squared. Open chamber heads and app .045 head gasket. The 408 in my duster right now is the only dome piston engine I’ve built in years. I got a good deal on those Wiseco pistons.

-
Back