thoughts on air ride suspension??

-
I don't know how hard it would be to set up the air ride, but I think it would be sweet to see. Especially on an A-body.

I don't know how hard it would be to set up the air ride, but I think it would be sweet to see. Especially on an A-body.

The alterk system does not work on early A bodies and I will explain why. The frame on the early A does not allow for enough clearance to run a large enough air bag to support the front end. You have two options if you want air ride on an early A front end.

The first option is to keep the existing tbar set up and use the 7000 series shockwave as an adjustable shock. This air bag will fit with tubular uppers only but is not strong enough to function as a spring for the front end therefore you will need the tbars for support. This is the way I run my car.

The second option would be to install a mustang two conversion which will allow the clearance needed for the big airbags. The alterk does not allow for this needed clearance.

Let me give you my thoughts on air ride as I have been running it for about 5000 miles. When everything is set right it gives a really nice ride but it take a lot of fiddle to get there. Every time you adjust the height of the car you take it out of alignment and the air ride systems dont easily find there way home. If you know what I mean. Although I love the adjustability it gives I would have to say that it is a system that is not perfect and is made for the guys that want the low look on the fly more than performance advantages.

we use "air ride technologies" they have bolt on setups for muscle cars, check them out. they might have what you are looking for. this is a rear kit that we used on a '51 plymouth, that we put on a 2001 dakota R/T chasis. changed to a 4-link suspension no leafs in rear we will also be putting air bags on front. hope this kinda helps.

IMG_0015.jpg

we use "air ride technologies" they have bolt on setups for muscle cars, check them out. they might have what you are looking for. this is a rear kit that we used on a '51 plymouth, that we put on a 2001 dakota R/T chasis. changed to a 4-link suspension no leafs in rear we will also be putting air bags on front. hope this kinda helps.

I run air ride technologies triangular 4 link with the same bags. The nice thing about the tri 4 link is no panhard bar needed.

-
Back