Thoughts on triangular air cleaners

-

Richie

Reaction score
Hi everybody:

I think these old style triangular air cleaners look really cool. I was wondering if they are safe, do they filter well? How restrictive are they? I always like to be a bit different and I found an awesome Direct Connection one I really like. I don't really want the Mopar Performance stuff all over the engine although it's all very nice I'd rather be..back in the day in my head

273_zpscldaxvua.jpg

if I remember correctly, the filter element is foam, and not always fire retardant...specially once it soaks up some gasoline fumes

I would steer away from that one unless you want to end up like this

triangle of death.jpg

I was going to say I have seen quite a few of those that have burned up, but you know what they say about a picture. :D

I've only heard the same things. Fire and chunks. If it doesn't start on fire. The foam breaks down and gets sucked into the engine. I would avoid one.

You could always run the regular style pie plate. And keep that style in the trunk for shows and the like. All the looks, none of the risk.

I love the way they look, I'd like to have one for shows, etc, but can't justify the prices I've seen

That's the worst air cleaner money can buy. Stop gettin hung up on somethin you think looks cool. They are pieces of ****.

Sometimes lookin cool is where it's at though. I'm not gonna drive with the thing on, I've got enough wrapped up in my air cleaner now just trying to make it breathe a little better.

Just sayin, if I had money I'd have one.

They are the biggest piece on the planet. Obviously designed to look cool. We quit selling them at the speed shop I managed back when.

Been there. Once the fire ensues and melts the plastic frame that supports the foam, you then get to pull the carb and clean the plastic off the butterflies because they don't close. Mine ended up in the circular file about 1990.

No doubt it's similar to the "flies eyeball" I have on my shovel head. That thing runs like a tractor though, no amount of air flow is gong to help it.

You can see through the foam out of the box. No way that is going to filter anything short of bird feathers. you see them at swap meets and the foam is either burned or gone.

Well, it was inexpensive. I like the ribbed Edelbrock myself. Not the price though.

I always thought that style looked good paired up on top a 671 blower or possibly a tunnel ram where they were trying to keep their view less obstructed.
Look kind of cheap to me on a single carb engine.

If you are hell bend on running one, I would suggest you buy a sheet of spark arrestor mesh and incorporate that into the filter, between the carb and the foam

Decades back, I had one of these on the 340. All you need is one backfire and the foam melts and drips into the carb. The resulting melted foam turns into a sticky glue type of compound. Do NOT run these. Get yourself a round, triangular or other shape that has a paper or K&N style filter.

I had one on temporarily a big 3k regret. Never again it fueled the fire for sure.

DSC00709.JPG

DSC00712.JPG

DSC00783.JPG

-
Back