Thoughts????

-

dugascarman

Reaction score
I might be picking up a 76 roadrunner soon and it needs a little work. At this time, the only thing i know is that i might want to put some side exit exhaust on it like the old cudas and challengers had. I am going to be 15 soon and i have been messing with cars with my dad for a while now. I'd appreciate some ideas.
Thanks,
Chris:usa2:

No problem with the exhaust idea. The biggest concern is that early F bodies like this one, when located in any area where road salt was used, had a tendency for the front frame rails to rust through right below the firewall. Having owned and parted several F bodies, I have seen this many times, even on cars with less than 40,000 miles. Get under there and have a good hard look before you buy. Side exit exhaust isn't cool if the car it's on folds in half at the firewall.

Not an F body fan, myself, but, it's your car, and as long as it's what YOU want, it's the right car for you. :thumbup:

Darien Center, huh? About an hour, hour and a half from me.

I love the F-body platform. Plenty of things to look out for on 'em, besides the aforementioned front rails. The drains in the cowl sucked, rotting toe boards and perhaps the lower part of the cowl.

Eliminate the iso's in the suspension to tighten up road feel and get a better grip on the road.

Join forfmjbodies.com and learn some things on these cars.

As far as side exit exhaust, the only person you have to satisfy is yourself.

A38Valiant, when my dad and i went to look at it the first time, everything seemed legit except for the driver's side frame . but it would really suck if we get to driving it and then the frame rail under the motor snapped. thats what happened to my uncle about 20 years ago. So we could be taking a gamble if we decide to pick it up.
Thanks,
Chris

I bought a '76 Road Runner when it was about 2 years old and had about 25k miles on it. I paid $2500 for it. It had a 318 with single exhaust. I put a set of 340 heads, a 340 cam, and a 340 intake and carb (can't remember which carb now), a set of headers, and straight pipes all the way to the back. It was kind of doggy stock but would run 100 mph in second after the mods......much to the surprise of the previous owner..lol..
It had 14" Keystone wheels on the front and 15" Keystones with 50 series tires on the back, I was too cool for school..lol..
Dallas

your 15 ?

no on the side pipes

and ill tell you why, imagine your picking your date up for the first time
you arrive at the cinemas and get out to open her door
(remember to be a gentleman son)
she slides her leg out and as she goes to step out the back of her leg briefly touches the sidepipe

instant second degree burns

you know this date is over

so if you do decide to go with them (they are way cool) be sure to find a set with baffles on them

-
Back