Threads of brake lines -65 Barracuda

-

AW-100

Reaction score
I'm about to change some brake lines of my -65 Barracuda. All over the web I find that I should order 3/16 brake lines, with a 3/8" thread. But when I measure my old lines the thread seems more like 5/16, or maybe 11/32, smaller than 3/8 that's for sure. And over here in Europe I cannot get a hold of brake lines by the inches, so I have to order all from the US. Anyone can help with the correct thread for the brake lines?

The factory size should have been 3/16, and yes they should be 3/8x 24 thread. See if you can find a 3/8 fine nut somewhere and see if it fits the line end.

^^^As above^^^

Here's the "glitch" you are facing "maybe." This glitch has to do more with dual master systems. The manufacturers---all the American ones-- started using "odd size" nuts on the brake lines so that the lines "had" to go where they were meant to, that is, different size threads out of the (dual) master, different threads into the distribution block / safety switch or prop. valve block.

Having said that, ALL U.S. inverted flare is MEANT originally to have "standardized" flare nuts by line size callout. That is, if you buy a legit U.S. (not a metric bubble flare) but a legit U.S. inverted flare line, say, 3/16, it should automatically come with the proper size nuts

On your 65 I bet they ARE all "standard" size

If you Google this, you'll find specs:

http://terminalsupplyco.com/_assets/CatalogImages/BRIINVFLARFIT.JPG

https://www.google.com/search?q=inv...CYBw&ved=0CAgQ_AUoAg&biw=1138&bih=511#imgrc=_

and yes...........3/16 line should have a nut with 3/8-24 thread. "in modern times" the hex size is not reliably "standard." For some reason I've seen US fittings with either sloppy or metric hex wrench sizes.

Thanks, then I have to get her out of the rain and pull the pipes, and just hope I have the correct parts in stock... :)

I do measure the pipe line itself to be 3/16, so I guess my previous measurements of the threads must be off.

-
Back