Three on the Tree losing 1st

-

Dingos Garage

Reaction score
75 Duster slant six 3 speed on the column. Not sure if I have a A230 or A903. Every once in a while, when shifting into 1st, the transmission would sometimes grind and not go into gear, and would sometimes rarely pop out of gear. Driving recently, the trans popped out of gear more harshly than usual, and now I have to rev it out way more to get into 1st, and after shifting and letting out the clutch it seems somewhat rough. Is my synchro going bad? Do i need a linkage adjustment? could something inside the column be wrong? What do you guys think?

I would recommend going over it and making sure all the bushings are good and everything is adjusted properly first.

The only 3 speed manual transmissions used in 1975 were the A230-side cover style and the A390-top cover style. There should be a pad on the passenger side of the transmission that will identify which type you have. Mymopar.com does not have the 1975 service manual, but there are plenty of them on eBay. Just search for 1975 Chrysler Plymouth Dodge service manual. Used 1975 manuals are dirt cheap.

-
Back