Three on the tree options

Which transmission?

• A230

• 904 column automatic

Results are only viewable after voting.
-

MidnightSwinger

Reaction score
My 1965 Dart came with no motor or transmission. It was originally 3 speed manual on the column. I’m trying to decide if I should keep it that way.

I have very limited experience with column shifted manuals, so I’m looking for some information and advice on what to do.

After some research I see that the factory column 3 speeds were the 745/903 and later the a230.

Will the a230 column shift transmission work in the 65? It seems like it would be the transmission to have since it’s fully synchronized.

If not which is better between the 903/745 for my application? Were they all the same length, or are they chassis specific like the A833?

It’s going behind a mild built 225, estimated at 200 Hp and 250 ft lbs.

What would you do?

IMG_4148.jpeg

Unless you want to do some floor pan surgery, your options are limited to the A903 or an A904 automatic. The A230 has the same size case as the A833 four speed and requires the four speed floor tunnel. It will not fit without that because the transmission tunnel is too narrow. I've tried it first hand. It won't fit. lol If you don't mind the column shift and are going to stay a slant 6, the A903 is not a terrible choice. That's what I have in Vixen and it works fine. I am eventually going to swap to the T5 though and that will require pretty extensive floor surgery. They are small in the transmission tunnel area.

Unless you want to do some floor pan surgery, your options are limited to the A903 or an A904 automatic. The A230 has the same size case as the A833 four speed and requires the four speed floor tunnel. It will not fit without that because the transmission tunnel is too narrow. I've tried it first hand. It won't fit. lol If you don't mind the column shift and are going to stay a slant 6, the A903 is not a terrible choice. That's what I have in Vixen and it works fine. I am eventually going to swap to the T5 though and that will require pretty extensive floor surgery. They are small in the transmission tunnel area.
That’s what I needed to know on the A230, thank you sir.

Keeping the slant, and this is just a cruiser, no launching or burnouts. I want to keep column shift/bench seats so we can pile the kids in and go.

I have a ‘67 904 and the correct steering column already. But I don’t have the shift linkage or a driveshaft for the slip yoke(not a big deal) so I’m trying to decide what to do.

In my opinion the 3 speed on the column is just cool, and unique since most people pull them out for autos or floor shift you just don’t see them anymore.

So, I am the same as you, I dig the 3 on the tree. I have a 903 in my 70 duster now, and just aquired an a230. Lucky for me it will fit in the duster hump. Now, I think it will column shift just fine, but don’t know that yet. My results with the 903 are fine, but make sure you keep the fluid level full, if you need a kit for gaskets, bearings, etc. here you go. Rebuild Kit for 1962-72 Chrysler/Dodge New Process A903 3 Speed Transmission
Learn to double clutch, first gear isn’t synchronized, it’s not hard, I grew up driving farm stuff, just get used to it. You can’t really beat on the 903, it will break, but if you just drive it as a cruiser, it will probably last as long as the 7 1/4 diff. Mine has been in the car for 53 years and still does fine. Have fun!

I'm really torn, I have to admit. If I was offered a fair price for the 5 speed and 9" rear end, they'd probably leave from here. lol I do love the 3 on the tree, but I want the car to be able to cruise, too and the OD 5th gear will get it done.

So, I am the same as you, I dig the 3 on the tree. I have a 903 in my 70 duster now, and just aquired an a230. Lucky for me it will fit in the duster hump. Now, I think it will column shift just fine, but don’t know that yet. My results with the 903 are fine, but make sure you keep the fluid level full, if you need a kit for gaskets, bearings, etc. here you go. Rebuild Kit for 1962-72 Chrysler/Dodge New Process A903 3 Speed Transmission
Learn to double clutch, first gear isn’t synchronized, it’s not hard, I grew up driving farm stuff, just get used to it. You can’t really beat on the 903, it will break, but if you just drive it as a cruiser, it will probably last as long as the 7 1/4 diff. Mine has been in the car for 53 years and still does fine. Have fun!
The plan is just for a family cruiser, it’s a mild built slant. I’m worried I might break something when alone in the car though. I may end up going with the 904 auto.

I'm really torn, I have to admit. If I was offered a fair price for the 5 speed and 9" rear end, they'd probably leave from here. lol I do love the 3 on the tree, but I want the car to be able to cruise, too and the OD 5th gear will get it done.
I would totally go 5 speed, but I dont want the floor shifter. Too bad there is no 5 speed column shift conversion!

Same here, but it’s a family hauler it’s nice to not have to shift in between anyone’s legs.
Assuming a bench seat then. Put a couple nice late model buckets in it, nobody in the middle, problem solved, lol.
(One of my two three on the tree cars is a 49 Plymouth Business coupe. It has a crazy rear gear (which is surprising considering the flathead six has pretty good low end torque for what it is, and NO topend hp)
A Ford t5 with a low first gear and a not-too-crazy overdrive fifth would be perfect.)

Assuming a bench seat then. Put a couple nice late model buckets in it, nobody in the middle, problem solved, lol.
(One of my two three on the tree cars is a 49 Plymouth Business coupe. It has a crazy rear gear (which is surprising considering the flathead six has pretty good low end torque for what it is, and NO topend hp)
A Ford t5 with a low first gear and a not-too-crazy overdrive fifth would be perfect.)
We need the bench so we can fit the whole family otherwise I’d go 5 speed and buckets.

When it comes to family you gotta what ya gotta do !
This build is for them, gonna add seat belts to the back, Bluetooth(hidden, original radio) and a bunch of sound deadening. I just want to share the hobby with the wife and kids, try to get my children to carry the torch. I think it would be cool for the kids to learn how to drive in eventually.

I let my 16 year old daughter drive my 65 Belvedere.No power steering or brakes and a stick shift.
She did real good but after awhile she said "Ok ,I did it but I had enough now".
First and last time. I believe she just wanted to say she can.

I let my 16 year old daughter drive my 65 Belvedere.No power steering or brakes and a stick shift.
She did real good but after awhile she said "Ok ,I did it but I had enough now".
Hahaha kids!

Three sisters in my family (but not MY sisters). One has driven a stick, and might be able to again in an emergency, one runs an auto repair shop and can drive most anything..... (at least before her knee replacement) and the third sisters' first ride was a 426 4sp 65 street wedge, with no power anything. I don't think she's driven a stick since.

How important is a synchronized first gear? I mean first gear is generally only a take off from a stop gear.

How important is a synchronized first gear?
Well Chrysler didn't think so way back when. My 67 Dart didn't have it. It's all up to your driving style.
So is it important ? No, but it's nice to have.

Once you've driven a car with NO synchros, up or down, it's no big deal , (see white car to the right<<<<)

0ops, left. DOH!

Last edited:
-
Back