Throttle cable question(s)

-
The problem is in bold; see here.
Great read Dan lol. I emailed them a pic. I bought it in Sept 2023, so the 30 days kicks in lol. BUT they are selling resto parts....you line that **** up, order it and it could be 6 months to a year before it's installed and found to be defective...
Sticking can be caused by the plastic inside the carb end getting cooked and then jamming.

Especially if it is broken in several places.

Back in the day I had a 289 in a 63 Econoline van. The cable would go so far that the plastic part was completely out of the outer part it slides in and out of. One day at full throttle, it cocked sideways and stuck open.

Wild ride back into the parking lot I just left.
Yep I thought of that, but everything appears OK.
How about sawing a Ferrel open to the center, slip it over and crimp it on and/or epoxy??
View attachment 1716289397

Is the OEM cable frayed or kinked? If it's just gummed up you may be clean it out with a slow speed drill, a vise, and lubricant.

View attachment 1716289462
Thanks Dave, I was contemplating a ferrule of some sort. I like @TrailBeast Idea with the collar/screw. It doesn't HAVE to be the "ball" on the end, it could be a ferrule like you posted as well.
Cool graphic of the "routine" to lube it! There are a couple of small nicks/gouges in the sheathing, but in my hand the cable doesnt stick. I have lubed it up.
Thanks all, I just spent the last hour installing the original cable. 2 God damned clips and it takes me an hour! Good lord :BangHead: :lol:

So far all I have done is reinstall the orig one. No hiccups so far.
PG Classic actually got back to me AND refunded me full amount I paid. As well as not requesting the cable back. They requested a pic and I sent a couple explaining the length issue(20"), they list it as 19" and the sliding fitting issue.
So for customer service they get a thumbs up! :thumbsup: . I bought a used 18" one at moparfest, so between them hopefully I can "make" a good one lol. I'll extend clevis on carb end somehow.
J, get in touch, strike while the irons hot!
I had two cables form PG classics fail. The first one, the capture bead came off the end at the pedal slot. And both of the cables had the issue with the firewall fitting sliding up the sheath.

Screenshot_20240821_154429_Gmail.jpg

I think it's important to do as Steve has done... Complement a company with great customer service.

I would not hesitate to order from them.

FYI...
The image on the PG website is the exact same image as the OER website.

So I suspect PG is reselling OERs cable.
I would ask PG so you don't buy an OER and have the same issue

Screenshot_20240822-080249.png
Screenshot_20240822-080257.png

So I bought a new throttle cable from PG Classic. Not impressed. This is for 67 cuda 340 4bl with LD340.
254-AS Mopar 1967-76 A-body Small Block 19" Throttle Cable
2 issues, it's too long and I just realized the metal end that sits in firewall isn't 100% tight and it slid on the sheathing sheathing.
I would imagine I could "fix" the crimp to hold good on the sheathing, but the length issue not sure what to do.
Is there a way to "re-crimp" the ball on the pedal end?
The reason for replacement is my oem throttle has stuck open a couple times now...once on a causeway :eek:, so time to change it.
Suggestions? I have 3 throttle cables that are all basically unusable.
One with green tape is oem, bottom is repop and top is a used one thats too short.
Thanks
Steve

View attachment 1716289132
I went with the Lokar answer for this but I needed a kick down as well, so I was forced. I haven’t driven my ‘68 that much because of other issues but seems to wok well so far.

CBF52F51-FEDE-4BBF-97D0-38AA511D219C.jpeg

Missed ya at Moparfest Wally! I've got a new Lokar but like the stock look. Don't need much. I guess it's due to the alum.intake sitting a little higher.
Yours looks good! :thumbsup:
I went with the Lokar answer for this but I needed a kick down as well, so I was forced. I haven’t driven my ‘68 that much because of other issues but seems to wok well so far.

View attachment 1716293169

Steve - Pioneer Automotive Industries makes throttle cables. They have a whole bunch with different lengths and clip styles. I used them on one of my builds. They were also helpful when I called - guy went out and measured a couple for me. Worth a try!!
Accelerator Cable

Thanks! Funny how similar both the ATP and Pioneer websites are.
Steve - Pioneer Automotive Industries makes throttle cables. They have a whole bunch with different lengths and clip styles. I used them on one of my builds. They were also helpful when I called - guy went out and measured a couple for me. Worth a try!!
Accelerator Cable

Same parent company Lodi Group.
Accelerator Cable

Thanks! Funny how similar both the ATP and Pioneer websites are.

I'm away from my laptop for a few days. When I return, I can post a pic of a chart I made of several cables showing lengths along the cables i.e. pedal ball to clip then to clamp then to clevis, etc, etc.

I made the chart when I was struggling with a cable for the avatar that has a tall Super Victor intake on it. A guy I reached at Pioneer grabbed some cables and gave me some measurements. I then ordered several from Summit(?), confirmed which one would work, and sent the rest back. I've posted that chart on here somewhere before. Maybe it will assist you, maybe not. We shall see.

Thanks, yeah I'm running and LD340, so it sits a bit higher. A 30 second search and I found your chart!
Thanks for taking the time to make it!
Thread where u posted it!
Gas pedal throw issue
Maybe this might help you...I've been down this path and it took me a lot of time/effort/aggravation to get it right. I had the same issue where I couldn't quite get the throw correct and if I did, the throttle would stick a little bit open. You may be working on a big-block so I'm not sure how this translates but I see from your pic that you are using the same throttle spring/cable bracket from Summit that I am. So I'll share what I did and maybe it will help.

For my 408 in my 72 Demon, with an 850 DP Holley and a Super Victor intake manifold, the carb sits up pretty tall. So a couple spare cables I had would not work. Nor would the original stock cable from my 71 Demon 340. Arrgghhhh...what a stupid problem to have to work on..... But of course without a properly functioning throttle cable, you don't have much to crow about!

So I took a bunch of measurements of what I had and talked to a guy at Pioneer auto parts (their cables are sold through Summit) and he was kind enough to get me a few measurements from some of their cables. So I ordered 4 of them from Summit in hopes I could make one of them work. Here is a little picture/table of the measurements of the cables (DCM is just my initials in the table). As noted, I ended up using #8420 and it allows for full throttle travel without any throttle hang-up at idle. The one I used has the "square" end where the plastic end pushes through the pedal and the legs "pop open" to hold it there. I prefer the "round" style with the clip that holds them in but I didn't end up with any that would work. Since the #8420 does not have the flare to hold it in the bracket, I had to use the set screw that is on the back side to hold it there.

Hope this helps - good luck!!
View attachment 1715656648

Now if I can just address the fact that the return spring holder arm hits the bottom of the 5" air filter base.....

I'm away from my laptop for a few days. When I return, I can post a pic of a chart I made of several cables showing lengths along the cables i.e. pedal ball to clip then to clamp then to clevis, etc, etc.

I made the chart when I was struggling with a cable for the avatar that has a tall Super Victor intake on it. A guy I reached at Pioneer grabbed some cables and gave me some measurements. I then ordered several from Summit(?), confirmed which one would work, and sent the rest back. I've posted that chart on here somewhere before. Maybe it will assist you, maybe not. We shall see.

So far all I have done is reinstall the orig one. No hiccups so far.
PG Classic actually got back to me AND refunded me full amount I paid. As well as not requesting the cable back. They requested a pic and I sent a couple explaining the length issue(20"), they list it as 19" and the sliding fitting issue.
So for customer service they get a thumbs up! :thumbsup: . I bought a used 18" one at moparfest, so between them hopefully I can "make" a good one lol. I'll extend clevis on carb end somehow.
J, get in touch, strike while the irons hot!
I sent them a photo of the second cable and they refunded my money and said they'd contact their supplier

-
Back