Throwing pulley/alternator belt

-
If you have any issues with running hot these March under pulleys will compound it. Ask me how I know. They dealt me misery until light came on in my head. Joe
I had the same issue, went with an March aluminum under drive crank pulley and problem solved. Before that super tight worked.

Looks like you have angular misalignment.
1672248165567.png

Does the alternator have the bushing in this ear? If it is missing the alternator will not hold alignment.
View attachment 1716027012

Alan

Agree, if missing this will cause this. When I first got my engine together my belt would come off n the burnout box at the track, then be warm at the other end, put it back on but it did this a few timeS. Found out the spacer in the alternator where the bolt goes was too wide and stuck out a little, ground it down some and it never happened again. But I agree with others, get the correct pulley on there too.

Some of those brackets have an offset bent into em. Yours looks flat. I'm wondering if it's original. I saw more than one alternator in the core bin at the salvage yard with brackets still stuck on it

My belt would come off at High RPM's I put a shut off switch on the alternator. Never threw a belt. But that was at 8500 and above. I have cars here that spin 7500 all day and the belts stay on. You have the wrong pulley on the alternator . You can change the space by adding space behind bracket at the pump and behind the spacer at the head. If you do just one the alternator will be crooked.

Here is the difference. It is about 1/8 but being crooked will also contribute to off set

100_0035 (2).JPG

100_0036.JPG

100_0037.JPG

Hey guys. I keep throwing the alternator belt when I hit high rpm’s. I have the skinniest v belt I could find but doesn’t matter. The belt is slightly off alignment. I’ve shimmied a few bolts but it’s still slightly out of alignment. Tips please? Hope pics explain it better than I can. Thanks.

View attachment 1716026604

View attachment 1716026605
The Boss 302 and Z 28 had deep groove pulleys for just such operation. Those suckers were built to rev.
If you watch the belts with a dial back timing light you can watch the belt at RPM. Possibly an idler from a sepentine system on the back side of the longest free length will damp the whip. Does not need to be in constant contact, just say 1/16" to 1/8" away.

BTW

1. what rpm are you turning?
  2. What diameter is you crank pulley
  3. What diameter is your double alt pulley
Agree on checking crank pulley diameter.

I used to kick mine at 7500 until I went to a small diameter moroso crank pulley. Idle voltage was too low however, so I went with a medium size CVF, that was the ticket.

I don't recall exact size. IIRC stock was over 7 inches. Moroso was around 5, my cvf is 6

-
Back