Thrush welded turbo muffler on my V-6 Dakota

-

toolmanmike

Staff member
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
I put a Thrush welded Turbo on my 3.9 Dakota. Not good. I think no muffler is quieter. It's gross. It might sound better on a different application or with a V-8. About 1800-2200 rpm it's deafening. toolman

I was thinking about putting a performance muffler on my V6 4Runner (not for power, just wanted a bit more sound)

I think you just made me change me mind.

I have those Thrush welded on my Cuda, BUT they were loud also.......not just a bit loud, but kind'a annoying.....I opted to weld on some shorty glasspacks (8") at the end of the tails before the tips.....

Now it's just right.

A little resonator fixed it! Thanks, Tom

I used that resonator, or glass pack trick too. I hated to do it. I like simple. But, whatcha gonna do sometimes?
It seems some mufflers are more like megaphones.
I'm a V-8 guy. Six cylinder engines should be seen and not heard. (Sorry, just my opinion, and we know what they are like!)

i Put a dynomax on my v6 dakota. It sounds pretty good. it was cheap also like less than 150 cat back cheap

Yep I need to try a Dynomax. That thrush is getting LOUDER!!!!

I hope i dont sound like a jerk here, but there is no such thing as a thrush welded turbo muffler. There is a thrush welded and a thrush turbo muffler though.

im guessing your talking about the thrush welded since you said nothing was quieter. In all honesty anything other than a turbo muffler will probably sound crappy in your application. V6s just don't sound good. probably one of the worst sounding motors ever. chevy ford mopar they all sound terrible. I almost feel straight 6s sound better. But i feel turbo mufflers sound the best on v6 motors. it wont be loud but it will have a nice sound.

You're right, I meant welded muffler. I'll have to try a turbo.

get the longest turbo muffler you can. if you are on a budget a thrush turbo will work. ive used them before. dont seem to be built as good as the dynomax super turbo.

-
Back