Thrust pin/U joint

-

ibleedmoparts

Reaction score
Ok all I need help. I am installing a 489 cased chunk in my car and installing green bearings. I know everyone either loves or hates them but thats here nor there. It is a non sure grip unit. How do I remove the thrust pin to accommodate the new green bearings?

Additionally, I went from a 71' model 741 carrier to a 72 (I believe) 489 carrier. What U joint (if any) do I need to use?

Thank you all and I really appreciate it. Im banging my head here

Floyd

The thrust buttons are held together with a pin, knock the pin out and they should fall out.

As far as the U joint, measure the seat in the yoke where the cap goes, are they the same? I don't know of the top of my head it it's a different size.

Hey sport, Is that the small pin I see when i look where the axle seats? it has a shaft running up and down through the thrust block from what I can tell. So in theory I just knock that pin out? Also what is your best idea how to measure the yoke seat?

Thank you so much! You are a great help

Floyd

This is what you are dealing with. Knock that pin out of the center and the buttons should fall out. As far as measuring, you could just pull a cap and try it in the other yoke to see if it fits. Just don't lose the needles.

Attachments

• differential-pinion-thrust-spacer-kit-1.jpg
    7.2 KB · Views: 121
If it's an open differential I don't think it uses thrust pins like that. Those were only used on the clutch type sure grip unit I believe. Open units had a thrust block like a cone type sure grip located in the middle and held in by the spider gear shaft so you take the shaft retainer bolt out, slide out the spider shaft and take the thrust block out. Be careful when you do it because the spiders may fall out. If you have trouble getting them to stay in place while assembling it grease them up good. Here's a link to a page that shows the exploded view of it.

http://www.moparts.org/Tech/Archive/axle/9.html

As for the U-joint, 98% of all A-bodies used the small 7260 U-joint but in case the differential your working on isn't out of an A-body here's a chart I made up that gives the dimensions of all the U-joints Mopar and some others used

U-joint identification

Series.........Total width...........Cap O.D.........Snap ring location
7260..............3.250”................1.0780”.............Cap I.D.
7290..............3.625”................1.1250”.............Cap I.D.
1310..............3.219”................1.0625”.............Cap O.D.
1330..............3.625”................1.0625”.............Cap O.D.
1350..............3.625”................1.1870”.............Cap O.D.

-
Back