Tig

-

wirenut

Reaction score
Anybody have experience with TIG welding? I have and have used a MIG for many years, but find it frustrating at times for sheet metal. I'm looking at a Hobart A/C D/C stick/TIG machine. My hopes were that I could perform neater welds to sheet metal without the spatter and grinding. Again I have done alot with the MIG and know the tricks to reduce warpage. Its time to replace my MIG and wondered if there was something better.

TIG is a clean welding style--no spater or slag. The only filler metal is what you add by hand in a similar way one bronze welds with a axy/acetaline torch. TIG works great on stainless steel and alinimum. Carbon steel is somewhat harder with a TIG as honeycomb, pin holes can be problem. Use stainless steel rod to weld carbon steel and stainless steel. Clean all seam areas very well. The cleaner the better. The tungston electrode should be ground to a sharp point , much like a pencile sharpener sharpens a pencil--this will be welding carbon and stainless. A rounded/blunt point works best on alinimum. Carbon and stainless needs to be clean but alinimum must be spotless. Try on test scraps to get things figured out. Hope this helps.

I'm looking for a TIG also. My son just talked with the instructor at the local tech school and we haven't had a chance to discuss it much but, a Miller was recommended by the instructor. I know they discussed several brands. I'll try and get with my son today and find out what was said.

I recently picked up a Miller Diversion 165, AC/DC TIG only, (no ARC). I love it. but I need a pile of scrap metal and at least 40 more hours of practice to learn how to weld worth a damn. TIG is much more difficult than MIG and clean metal is paramount.

-
Back