tighten out side mirror

-

justme

Reaction score
does any know how to tighten the ball and socket on an outside mirror on a 66 valiant, or anyone that does it

Article in mopar action this past year on that.

Is it chrome twin post mirror? If so, it might be hard to get the mirror glass out without busting it. If there is any space at all between the edge of the mirror glass and the housing, you can soak it in lacquer thinner for a few days to loosen up the adhesive holding the glass to the mirror body. Once you get the glass out, you can then figure out how to tighten it up. The thin plate that rubs the ball to hold tension will either be held down by screws, or will have solder joints. I've never had one of those apart, so I don't know which it is. I've never had much luck resoldering the plate, but I have drilled the spots with a tiny drill bit and installed screws with washers to hold the tension plate tight.

There is lock ring that holds the glass to the housing. You can get behind the end of that ring with a small screwdriver and remove the ring and then the glass comes out. Most of the ball retainers are held in with rivets though....
I have found that a couple of drops of superglue on the ball works well to tighten a loose mirror. Protect the door below in case you accidentally miss with a drop or two. Put a couple of drops on the ball so it goes into the housing and let it harden over night.. Go out in the morning and adjust. This is one of the few things that I have actually found super glue useful for. Try it, you will be surprised. And it lasts a good while too.

-
Back