[SOLD] time delay relay

-
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is bad about the one pictured?

They are very simple devices and can be repaired / adjusted and cleaned.

I stole that pic from the net. My lights stay on no matter what, so I thought maybe mine was junk. Thought I would pick up a new one to eliminate that option.

Although you say they can be repaired/cleaned? Could you enlighten me, perhaps that is all mine needs.

The drawing shows the connections to the relay.

Pink is always Hot (+12v)

Relay gets signal from Yellow connected to door switch circuit that grounds when the door(s) is opened.

Third pole is Switched (+12v) to the ignition lamp.

They way it works is when the door circuit is grounded the relay makes and switches +12v from the pink to the Yellow/black trace. The longer the door circuit is grounded the hotter the the relay gets internally and this is what determines how long the lamp is lit. There are windings inside on one of the Bi-Metal contacts that heat up the metal arm.

If yours stays on all the time unplug it and check for continuity between the poles where the pink and Yellow/black trace wires plug in. Also check and make sure the yellow door signal wires are not grounded all the time causing the relay to be turned on.

If the pink to yellow/black trace pins are shorted with the relay unplugged then carefully open the relay housing by bending the tabs out and removing the cover. Check to see if the contacts are welded together or if they are out of adjustment.

Attachments

• TDR.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 219
The diagram posted is for a barracuda but the wire colors and principle are the same.

Thank you so much for the help with that. I will spend some time doing this... If by chance the pieces are welded together is it fixable or should I look for a new one?

Hard to say for sure..... Assuming it is the (Thermal relay) and not the door circuit grounded then having a look will tell for sure. If you can seperate the contacts and clean them with fine emery cloth or a contact file you might be able to save it.

Most just stop working by not making good contact and cleaning them usually corrects the problem.

But in your case the light is always on, which suggests an overload at one time or faulty wiring elsewhere.

Can't one from a late-ish model be used? Not sure but I think my Neon uses one just like that...

You can always go solid state

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Power-OFF-Delay-Relay-Module-Circuit/dp/B00EZJMADC#productDetails"]12V Power-OFF Delay Relay Module Delay Circuit Module : Amazon.com : Automotive[/ame]

Status
Not open for further replies.
-
Back