Time to decide on an ignition. Opinions please.

-

PhillH

Reaction score
Well the time is here, everything is just about back in order on my 71 Scamp auto that I rebuilt my first engine for, think I've got most of the bugs worked out so now for the ignition. I've been doing some reading/searching and I think what I would like is the MSD Streetfire box and coil.
So what it came with is a factory 318, points distributor, a 2 wire ignition box, and a ballast that has 2 terminals but 2 wires on each side, not the four terminal one, four wires into two terminals.
What I would like is to do away with the ballast and box completely, go all modern. So I would need to know what distributor I would need to go with the MSD box and coil, and what to do with the existing wires? Also I don't know what to do with the alternator as the one I have isn't charging, so what to replace with? I am planning on doing a whole car wire kit, electric fans, fuel injection, so keeping that in mind, I want to be able to use these parts now and after the rewire, driving car while working on it.
What do you think????

I use the older GM 4 pin module and a Mopar breakerless dist. TrailBeast sells a packaged up newer GM 8 pin which you can tie into some EFI systems (Megasquirt and Holley) for electronic spark advance control.

thanks guys, but this is where I'm confused, If I have a MSD spark control box, and the matching coil taking care of the spark, don't I need one of those distibutors that just spins and directs the spark, basically a dummy that just spins and hits each wire??? Am I missing something?

thanks guys, but this is where I'm confused, If I have a MSD spark control box, and the matching coil taking care of the spark, don't I need one of those distibutors that just spins and directs the spark, basically a dummy that just spins and hits each wire??? Am I missing something?

Where would your advance from idle to WOT come from then?
The MSD box doesn't do that, the distributor does.

You are getting what you can run now mixed up with what you might want to do later I think, because you need something to tell any ignition system When to fire the coil.
That would be either a distributor or a crank trigger system.

If you really want to swap to EFI later, I think you should get a "ready to run" HEI distributor off ebay and save all that money that might have gone to MSD for the EFI.
The EFI systems have timing control, so then you could use a basic dummy distributor like you mentioned.
A ready to run HEI distributor and wires to fit it should be right at $100 and are super easy to install but you still need an ecore coil to have HEI. (so figure about $150)

My HEI kits use the OEM electronic distributor with an external 8 pin weatherproof Module and E core coil and are a true HEI system than can even run standard plug wires, although 8mm silicone are recommended. (also easy to install with only 3 wires to connect)
These come with the module and coil both pre wired with snap together connectors.

The website for those is www.classichei.com

I see what you mean, so if I got a ready to run HEI distributor would I be able to do away with the ballast, the coil and the voltage regulator ?

I recommend a Petronix Ignitor I or II with their coil, vacuum advance model for the street. This is a 12 volt direct ignition system, one wire hookup, bypass ballast resistor. Although MSD has a good rep. numerous failures recently are a cause for concern. HEI distributors may have clearance issues with the firewall. (my'72 Scamp did). Ignitor distributors have multi strike capabilities at low rpm. Just my opinion, good luck

Go with MSD i have run 2 different systems on 2 different dusters NEVER an issue well worth the money spent..

I see what you mean, so if I got a ready to run HEI distributor would I be able to do away with the ballast, the coil and the voltage regulator ?

You still need the regulator for your charging system, but everything else and all the wiring for it can go.
The "Ready to run" distributors are really inexpensive but still give you HEI ignition. (a pretty big plus for the money)
Since you are considering EFI in the future it would be a good ignition in the meantime and you could still run the HEI coil with your EFI later.
(Most gain for less money spent right now, and part of it usable in the future)

I recommend a Petronix Ignitor I or II with their coil, vacuum advance model for the street. This is a 12 volt direct ignition system, one wire hookup, bypass ballast resistor. Although MSD has a good rep. numerous failures recently are a cause for concern. HEI distributors may have clearance issues with the firewall. (my'72 Scamp did). Ignitor distributors have multi strike capabilities at low rpm. Just my opinion, good luck

Only the BIG cap Chevy style distributors have the firewall clearance problems.
The "Ready to runs" are a small cap and have zero clearance issue's.
Also that is a lot more money, plus like you mentioned the quality has been going downhill.
On top of that, if you have an ignition failure with MSD or Pertronix you have to order and wait for new parts when the HEI conversion stuff you can get anywhere in stock.

That right there is a pretty big deal to me.
The www.classichei.com HEI kits are right about the same price as the lesser expensive other ignitions, but you can get local in stock replacements AND use ALL of it with EFI later.
The fact that they are also highly reliable doesn't hurt. :D

O.K....with measuring instruments you get a better readings

With measuring instruments you can see a visual representation of the better ignition you're getting. Read the links off that first one to understand why better ignition is better.

a stock system in good repair will still be more than adequate.

You're free to hold that opinion; I've provided data showing the shortcomings of the stock system.

Dan, are the waveforms a scaled voltage waveform? Is this through a divider probe of some sort? Capacitive? Resitive? (I am just interested in making such a probe one day...)

With measuring instruments you can see a visual representation of the better ignition you're getting. Read the links off that first one to understand why better ignition is better.

You're free to hold that opinion; I've provided data showing the shortcomings of the stock system.

you've made some valid points and it appears to be a superior system.i use a regular parts store coil and could
get a higher voltage spark by just getting a 40,000 volt coil instead of the 28,000 volt unit i have.

you've made some valid points and it appears to be a superior system.

Also, if you are "more of a purist" you can actually mount the GM 4 pin into a gutted Mopar ECU and make a "plug and play" replacement that looks just like a Mopar!!

Here's one

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=252705

attachment.php

Earlier post already pointed out that this distributer conflicts with Chrysler A-body firewalls, as in early A-body hood struts and many A-body wiper motors.

:D I was going to let all that go this time.

-
Back