Time to plug in home Stereo

-
I use a Crown Macro Reference amp for the bottom and a Counterpoint SA 220 for the top end.

2030-1.jpg

I've been getting into vintage audio stuff lately and have picked up some good deals on a few things. My main listening area is my shop and for the most part the main system consists of a Sansui 771 receiver, Aurex Quartz direct drive T-table, a cheap DVD/CD player, running through a pair of Harman Kardon HK40's, and Fisher STC-822 speakers. I have 4 or 5 more T-tables (Technics, Pioneer ect), a Yamaha R-300 Natural Sound receiver, a Sansui 2000x receiver but I always come back to the 771. I also have a nice little pair of Boston Acoustic HD7 speakers but they need a refoam. A Sanyo dual cassette, a Sony reel to reel and a bunch of others I don't remember right now. I've spent so much time playing with stereo stuff in the last few months that I haven't touched my 65 Cuda project.:shock:

I'll bet that system sounds awesome! The Crown could power your whole house and run the air compressor too:) I'll bet that hybrid up top sounds sweet too. I've never heard a SA220 but a friend had a PS Audio HCA-2 and it was really smooth, so if yours sounds anything close it would be pretty impressive. Plug in your Telarc 1812 Overture and crank it up...maybe I'll hear it down here.....

Grim...

people pooh-Pooh on the Macro Reference but it's powerful and FAST...
I had 4 Threshold SA-1's in the late 80's and in the winter time they would heat my basement up to 95 degrees in just 2 hours...great sound just too much heat.
Then I figured time for some Krell gear so I tried a couple of FPB 300's...GREAT sound but after 3 winters they needed $6000...I listen loud and long 6-7 hours at a time and at 50% volume minimum.
Then I tried the Crown ,well it wasn't as warm as the Krell but boy it had unbelievable control at ferocious sound levels,no harshness but it was a lot of trial and error finding a top end amp to go with it...
A friend of mine had 4 SA 220's running his big Tanoys and I liked the sound of them so that's how ended up trying one on the top and it was a perfect match for me.

I built a pair using Sonotube and Dayton drivers a few years back but they didn't get an SAF (Spouse Apporaval Factor) rating so I had to sell 'em. I since built some in nice end table looking oak cabinets using Adire Shivas for my two channel stereo. I also built a set for my surround sound system with Shivas in end tables that are ported with plate amps. I've helped others build subwoofers as well. One of the most interesting was when we built a form and made the enclosures from concrete for some Focal 13s.

They would rattle your pantlegs! Really clean, tight bass. But it was probably more due to the $6-700 drivers than the enclosure.

Don't want to hi jack the thread here but I noticed 55RedNeck mention he did most of his listening in the shop.

I have just built a new shop and I ran speaker wire to all four corners near the ceilings. What would be a good recommendation for speakers? I will have the speaker wires ran into a surround type system receiver. Eventually I will have a TV, dvd player, etc...

Mullinax, how big is your shop and how high are the ceilings? Also, do you want to be able to hear over air compressor etc? How clean is your shop? If you do welding, sanding, grinding, wood working, etc... all the dust can ruin good speakers. I found my bar speakers on CL for $10/ per pair... so, I did the thing any normal guy would do, I bought 3 pair (figured I could not fit more in my rig...) and hung them up. My shop gets dirty enough, I do not want real high end stuff out there.

I use Mackie speakers in the garage, they are tough as hell and sound really good. I tried about 4 types other speakers ( Cerwin Vaga, eclipse, focals, and B&W) but ended up with the 10" Mackies in a 1600sq foot shop.
For my 80's metal listening needs they worked better than any of the others.

Attachments

• PC140151.jpg
    38.4 KB · Views: 116
Here are the subs that got SAF over Sonotube. The first photo is one of the two for my regular stereo and the second is one of two for my TV surround in the basement. The first pair are an aperiodic(leaky box) design with a baffled vent. The second pair are regular vented with plate amps. Of course it's kind of silly to look at subs when the only thing that matters is if they can reproduce an earthquake or cannon shots......

Attachments

• Sub1.jpg
    171.3 KB · Views: 120
  • sub2.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 138
Mullinax, how big is your shop and how high are the ceilings?

24 by 30 with 11' ceilings

Also, do you want to be able to hear over air compressor etc?

The air compressor will not be located in the shop

How clean is your shop? If you do welding, sanding, grinding, wood working, etc... all the dust can ruin good speakers.

Well I haven't used it yet but like to cut, sand wood a lot. Grinding as well on metal, polishing stainless trim etc...

I found my bar speakers on CL for $10/ per pair... so, I did the thing any normal guy would do, I bought 3 pair (figured I could not fit more in my rig...) and hung them up. My shop gets dirty enough, I do not want real high end stuff out there.

That makes since. I just want them to sound good, easy mounting, and directional. I've priced them not to long ago and wasn't wanting to sink that muck money in speakers for a shop. lol I will more than likely buy a low buck flat screen TV just to have something to watch. I plan on keeping my shop clean but you know how that goes.

This is a little off topic but I noticed somebody mentioned reel-to-reels and it reminded me of my freshman year. I was talking with a friend of mine and this girl I had a crush on at the time, well me and my friend were talking about 8-tracks and reel-to-reels. She then shocked us by asking what we were talking about. I never thought I would have to explain to somebody so soon what 8-tracks and reel-to-reels for. We were all 14 at the time. Just wanted to share an amusing memory.

Kids these days... :banghead:

And yes I'm including myself in there.

One of my friends has a grandson who broke his leg and was laid up for a couple of days. He really likes some of the old music like Led Zeppelin etc. so his grandpa thought it would be cool if he had a chance to check out some of the other old stuff and asked if I'd bring over some of my old music so I brought 8 track tapes and player (with multifolded match book). When he saw them he was amazed. He called about four friends to come and look at the cool stuff he had to play with!!! Then he kept it for about a month so all his other friends could see it too.

My tunes are piped out of my itune library of my computer right into the area or areas I want. Car audio is Alpine flash drive. I simply stick my loaded fash drive into my car system and waalaa, 100 CD's at my finger tips.

I`ve an old stereo my father built back in late 50`s early 60`s.
I grew up with it, sounds awesome, well, it used to, needs a few tubes and speakers need refoamed. It just recently pooped out.
I love the sound of tube systems, speaking of sonotubes, Dad built the speaker columns out of the old clay sewer pipe, ya need a friggen hand truck to move em around LOL.
He had the speaker columns covered in a material that got bad over the years and I put new grill covering and just a paint treatment, looks cool to me:iconbigg:

Attachments

• stereo 007 (Small).jpg
    80 KB · Views: 105
  • stereo 005 (Small).jpg
    59.1 KB · Views: 111
Those old tube amps are really amazing. A sound that is so smooth and warm compared to anything else. With a really well cut audiophile LP and a good cartridge they are a sound that can't be beat. It also looks like your dad new a thing or two about stereos , building the cabinets from sewer pipe should make a pretty acoustically dead enclosure allowing the drivers to shine. Nice!

Grim...

Very nice inclosure's !!...very nice

-
Back