Time to report back on the part throttle KD

-

TrailBeast

AKA Mopars4us on Youtube
Reaction score
The way I normally drive I like to keep the throttle light and the RPM's up a bit, without being into the secondaries all the time if I needed a little more power, so thought I would give the part throttle kickdown kit a try.

Been running it for a couple of months now and I love it.
Now the trans automatically downshifts pretty much exactly where and when I would if I were to do it manually.
So rather than being in 3rd at 40mph and using more throttle it kicks down into second sooner than a non modded valvebody would, allowing me to take advantage of lower gearing rather than more throttle.

I do a crapload of around town and narrow curvy roads driving because I do onsite service work, so I'm usually moving pretty good with a lot of varying speeds and tight areas.
The part throttle kickdown kit makes it much more enjoyable in these conditions.

Out on the open road or hiway the trans acts completely normal.

A well spent 50 bucks in my opinion.

I must admit I've never REALLY liked autos. Most the cars I've driven, I spent a fair amount of time "manually manipulating" the shifter, LOL. The Ranger,...........before it died could never quite decide on which gear to be in and neither can the ugly Ram.

Did this upgrade a few years ago. Makes our old cars a little more modern feeling. Now I do it to all of my Mopars. Share it with my friends too.

Big whoop.

lol

You sure your name isn't Richard?
Middle name maybe?
I know it's somewhere in there.

You sooo remind me of my younger brother (he's 55), but I wouldn't risk you two meeting each other as it could go really well or really bad, but it would be quick whichever way it went.

No offense meant to anyone actually named Richard of course. :D

I must admit I've never REALLY liked autos. Most the cars I've driven, I spent a fair amount of time "manually manipulating" the shifter, LOL. The Ranger,...........before it died could never quite decide on which gear to be in and neither can the ugly Ram.

I have driven stds for so long I got tired of the whole thing for awhile and am happy with the auto that works how I want it to.
I have the Hurst Promatic to nurse on if I get lonely even though it's quite a bit of a placebo as shifting goes.:D

Thanks, TB, I may just add this to my shortlist, I should find out soon how the previous owners shift kit goes and this may go perfect with it.

Thanks, TB, I may just add this to my shortlist, I should find out soon how the previous owners shift kit goes and this may go perfect with it.

Having a shift kit could produce some unexpected results, because a lot of kits already address this in their spring and valve changes and adjustments.

Yep, see what the deal is with the kit first.

-
Back