Timing and idle

-

Nappa82

Reaction score
Hello! Newb question here but I just need some clerification.

I have the timing on my 71 demon 225 /6 set at about 2 1/2 BTDC, idle at 750 and the points at .020. This is factory spec according to the book I was looking at.

It is running rough and wants to die at stop signs in drive. Placing it in reverse will kill the engine and I have to restart and then it will let me go in reverse but not without crying and atempting to die again.

I'm thinking the car will be better at around 6 BTDC and will attempt it later in the week. As far as the idle goes is it ok to have the idle around 800 or so even though the factory specs is 750? What is a safe idle range for the 225 /6?

I have tried to look for more info on the timing and idle range of the car but have yet to find any decent information. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be greatly appreciative.

OR if you think something else might be wrong please feel free to throw in your opinion and I will definately look into it.

Have you checked the carburetor and made sure it is tight to the intake? I would also check the intake manifold to ensure it is not developing a vacuum leak also.

My 73 likes about 8°-10° BTDC with the idle about 850 RPM, anything less and the alternator spins so slow that the electrics go dim. I'll be a little harder on the trans with the idle higher so weigh your options and what you can live with.
I have A/C and as soon as the compressor comes on, the idle will drop by 100 RPM or so.
If it's having trouble with 750, it could be a vacuum leak or it might be time for a valve adjustment, I check mine twice a year, and it seems at least two need some adjustment.

Don't get too hung up on the spec's in the book those are a baseline and are for a new engine, adjust the timing to what the engine likes and wants without kickback against the starter or detonation. Adjust idle accordingly after setting the distributor. Your air/fuel mix comes into play as well.

Copy and paste this: Sun Electric Tune-Up Chart, 1971 Mopar 225-Six
and enter it into ebay search.

Awesome, thank you all for the help I will bump it up and test out the ranges from 6-10 BTDC and also see if I cant get the idle to about 800 or so.

-
Back