Timing Chain Cover

-

65'DartGT

Reaction score
Anyone know if the Mancini Racing Timing cover will work with the 65 dart? the only difference I can tell is the timing gauge is molded in to the cover and the original was bolted on. Any info will be appreciated. My timing cover is corroded probably past repair.

Anyone know if the Mancini Racing Timing cover will work with the 65 dart? the only difference I can tell is the timing gauge is molded in to the cover and the original was bolted on. Any info will be appreciated. My timing cover is corroded probably past repair.
The timing marks on the cover will be 90 degrees off from the early timing cover, so you'll need to put tape on the harmonic balancer with marks in the right location. If you're running the original radiator and water pump, the marks will be hard to see because the lower radiator outlet from the water pump kind of blocks the view. It will physically bolt up and work though.

the '65 timing marks are bolt on, you will still have your original pointer plus one on the drivers side you don't need.

The timing marks on the cover will be 90 degrees off from the early timing cover, so you'll need to put tape on the harmonic balancer with marks in the right location. If you're running the original radiator and water pump, the marks will be hard to see because the lower radiator outlet from the water pump kind of blocks the view. It will physically bolt up and work though.
Thank you for the info. My original is so far corroded and pitted that when we pressure tested the engine we had air leaks out the valve covers. Since we have capped off the different water jacket routes and discovered the block is fine and it was probably the timing cover. So I appreciate the info.

It'll work, just use your old bolt-on timing indicator and ignore the cast in one on the cover.

On my 66 the new cover is 90 deg off
I'll check again, I expected it to be 90 and it was not.

#1 cyl, 0 deg advanced
Screenshot_20230301-180728.png

#8 cyl, 10+ deg after
Screenshot_20230301-180531.png

Same engine rpm vac advance disconnected.

Last edited:
I'll check again, I expected it to be 90 and it was not.
They might have changed it in 67. That's when they changed body style so possible the changed radiator outlet location that year also.

They might have changed it in 67. That's when they changed body style so possible the changed radiator outlet location that year also
67 thru 69 still have drivers side outlet.

67 and 68 have bolt on timing mark.
69 has molded in timing mark on pass side.
70 up has molded in timing mark on drivers side and outlet on pass side

-
Back