Timing Chain Tensioner Question?

-

Valkman

Reaction score
I have read about using Magnum tensioner on a LA block, but when came time for me to install the timing chain on my new motor it's hard to see this tensioner would work?
20180523_142900_resized.jpg

If you look at the tensioner arm to the right of the photo it needs to move over about an inch to the right to the other side of that metal tab that sticking out. But as it sits the chain doesn't have much play left. Has someone successfully done this? Am I missing something?

The trick is to put the top of the guild on first. Then slide it over the pin on the bottom.

Thanks, I'll give it another look tomorrow.

You can use a screwdriver to help you push it over. Won't be that hard to do once you know the trick.

My 2 cents 'caus that's all I have. Whenever possible don't use a tensioner type timing chain. I had two engines (both Chevy might have had somthing to do with it) loose timing chains due to tensioner. One the tensioner disintegrated and the chain was able to skip a tooth. the other broke apart and ended up dropping a piece into the chain causing it to try to roll over the broken plastic bit breaking the chain.

I even modified one to fit on my 1956 331 Hemi. Fits like a glove.

Stop!
Your shoe is on the wrong side of the stopper.
Take it off and reassemble it like the one in post #2

You I know I was test fitting the timing chain so I moved it out of the way.

This is one of those questions that have very smart people who build engines for a living on opposite sides. I decided to run a tensioner. Installed it and ran the motor for 4-5 years. Pull it apart to change pistons and the tensioner was completely broken. The guide was broken in half and it was NOT worn through. The flat spring was trying to eat its way throuh the side of the timing cover. I will not run another one. This is just my personal first hand experience. Buy the best timing chain you can find and keep an eye on it.

My 2 cents 'caus that's all I have. Whenever possible don't use a tensioner type timing chain. I had two engines (both Chevy might have had somthing to do with it) loose timing chains due to tensioner. One the tensioner disintegrated and the chain was able to skip a tooth. the other broke apart and ended up dropping a piece into the chain causing it to try to roll over the broken plastic bit breaking the chain.
FWIW.... I've pulled a tensioner out of a 11 year old 4.7L where the rubbing block broke into pieces when it was pulled it out with normal handling; the normal engine heat had made it brittle so it was getting ready to let go. And the standard 1.9L Opel configuration was with an oil-pressure-adjusted tensioner; those never broke in a lot or racing experience but they sure wore down the blocks and I replaced them regularly.

So, IMHO, the above is a valid caution. I especially question aftermarket tensioners with non-OEM materials. Since these tensioners don't fix cam timing but merely steady it, I am not a big proponent of them; just another thing to fail.

I put one on in year 1999. It was Ok in 2000,2001,2002,2003,and 2004, each time I pulled the engine out for inspection. But golly, that engine has not been apart since then........ I wonder if I should go check it? Naaaaaaw.lol. I did increase the oil supply to the chain, also for cooling,cuz I had the HV pump. I'll let y'all know someday.

I looked at it again today, and noticed the tension arm was riveted in place so decided to do without and replaced it with the stock cam plate

Last edited:
I had a buddy who had one on his 360. It last about 3 years before it let go. They just seem like an unnecessary wear item on the inside of the engine. No thanks!

I find it's funny all this talk about failure, when every single 3.9 V6 from a certain year onward had one and if failures were popular, we'd know all about them.

I find it's funny all this talk about failure, when every single 3.9 V6 from a certain year onward had one and if failures were popular, we'd know all about them.

I think the chains that are used with them have a lot to do with it.

Last edited:
Probably not a big deal.....but they do fail, as attested to. That is experience that can be ignored or used at each viewer's pleasure. The Opel ones I dealt with were 100% solidly reliably (and a LOT better built than the ones shown here).. but that does not mean they all are.

I'll bet the one AJ used 19 years ago was not made in China!

Probably not a big deal.....but they do fail, as attested to. That is experience that can be ignored or used at each viewer's pleasure. The Opel ones I dealt with were 100% solidly reliably (and a LOT better built than the ones shown here).. but that does not mean they all are.

I'll bet the one AJ used 19 years ago was not made in China!

Well that just makes me feel like ripping the front off for a look-see,lol

-
Back