Timing Chain Tensioner

-

clhyer

Reaction score
Good morning all,
A couple three weeks ago I read a thread where the topic of installing a timing chain tensioner was brought up. Those responses where this was discussed recommended a tct for a magnum engine and it was a bolt on deal that would replace the plate behind the cam gear (IIRC).
Stupid me, I didn't bookmark it. Now, I cannot locate it by searching. I don't even remember if it was a recent thread or an old thread I ran across. Can anyone help me out with a link to it?
Thanks,
C

Your correct, when you purchase the timing chain tensioner, it will replace the plate that holds the cam in it's spot.

Once you install the plate on the block, put on the chain, and pull the pin to release the spring. Then the pad will move over and apply tention on the chain. Hold onto the pin for cam/timing chain adjustments.

CLOYES Part # 95387 you can get it from Rock Auto for $29.79. You look it up under the 3.9 l magnum v6 in Dakotas, Vans or Rams of the mid 90's

Attachments

• getimage.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 640
Yep as was said above, I installed one on my LA 318 engine. It replaces the thrust plate. I drilled one more hole in the tensioner so all 4 bolts could be used. use the old thrust plate for a template to drill the 4th hole...

Thanks guys, I appreciate it.
C

Yep as was said above, I installed one on my LA 318 engine. It replaces the thrust plate. I drilled one more hole in the tensioner so all 4 bolts could be used. use the old thrust plate for a template to drill the 4th hole...

Works great. I used one on my double roller allthough not necessary for those. You can also drill a small hole to keep the fuel pump cam lubed. (and I'm sure it squirts oi on the timing chain too! toolman

Attachments

• 042500951507[00].jpg
    52.2 KB · Views: 659
  • 042500951525[00].jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 591
Make sure the top left bolt is the original type that has a small hole drilled through the center of it to allow oil to drip from the lifter valley onto the chain. That'll lube the slides and and chain make them last longer.

I got one for my roller cam 360
Roller360002.jpg

Damn good part for the money....I got mine from Mancini.

I think that pointer there is what oils the chain and sprockets.....and the oil comes from the front cam journal.

Thanks for all the input. In looking at the pics that have been posted and it's really noticable in Prine's pic, it looks like it could interfere with the timing chain cover? I'm looking at the top left of the tensioner, right by the cam gear.
C

Thanks for all the input. In looking at the pics that have been posted and it's really noticable in Prine's pic, it looks like it could interfere with the timing chain cover? I'm looking at the top left of the tensioner, right by the cam gear.
C

I've put 3 on different engines and none of them ever hit the timing cover.

EDIT: I see the area your concerned about and think it's just the camera angle making it look like it might hit.

Good deal! Thanks everyone:cheers:
C

-
Back