Timing chain tensioner?

-

mocar

Reaction score
340 small block how do I know if I need a timing chain tensioner?most of my experience is building big block Chrysler's, building a small black is new to me.

340 small block how do I know if I need a timing chain tensioner?most of my experience is building big block Chrysler's, building a small black is new to me.
Need ? No, but they do take up the slack from chain wear and stop the timing mark from bouncing around as much when checking it with a timing light.
I have one motor I run one in and another I don't, both billet gear roller timing sets. If you plan on running a poor quality timing set, one that will wear quick...it would be a great addition to your motor ...but if you want to skip dealing with chains and micro bits of chain guard eventually getting into the oil, and you wanna pretty much rid that bouncing timing mark....gear drive...but if this is just a mild performance build, don't worry about a tensioner, have fun!

I Run one and won't build another without one.

Stable timing is a win!

Absolute waste of time. If you are that worried about cam timing, order a Milodon gear drive and be done with it.

Have a timing tensioner,on my 360 Magnum...Won't run another small block build,without one... Cloyes makes the OEM part,good stuff....

For $40 that is a good piece on any small block. Even good chains get loose after a while.

I think it;s a good piece. I wouldn't worry about tiny particles of the tensioner shoe. Millions of vehicles have tensioners made out of similar material and they don't give trouble. Besides, what's the oil filter for anyway?

I have a billet double roller, and i installed one simply for the drip tab...

And all i was doing was a timing and gasket tune up on the engine.

Mine had a raised ridge on it that the rollers rode on. With the side plates not contacting the shoe, there's no shavings to be had.

-
Back