Timing Cover Seal and Crankshaft Seal

-

Hilderbrand1983

Reaction score
I'm sure the answer is pretty self-evident, but I want to make absolutely certain ...

I removed the old, cracked, round, rubber seal in my timing chain cover. It is inset into a ring in the timing chain cover itself. I'm shopping for a replacement part, but I'm not entirely sure of the part's "name." Is it the "timing cover seal"?

Also, I see that there are "front" and "rear" oil seals for the crankshaft. I have a new rear main seal, but I don't remember removing a "front" oil seal from the crank ... that is, unless the front oil seal and the timing cover seal are the same thing. Are they?

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks, ahead of time, for your help!

I'm sure the answer is pretty self-evident, but I want to make absolutely certain ...

I removed the old, cracked, round, rubber seal in my timing chain cover. It is inset into a ring in the timing chain cover itself. I'm shopping for a replacement part, but I'm not entirely sure of the part's "name." Is it the "timing cover seal"?

Also, I see that there are "front" and "rear" oil seals for the crankshaft. I have a new rear main seal, but I don't remember removing a "front" oil seal from the crank ... that is, unless the front oil seal and the timing cover seal are the same thing. Are they?

Let me know if you need more information. Thanks, ahead of time, for your help!
The front seal and timing chain cover seal are one in the same.

Make sure the crank isn't scored as well or it will chew the new seal up. Mine came with a sleeve to install just in case.

The round one is the front crankshaft seal it comes in a metal ring so that needs to be removed from the cover also.

-
Back