Timing cover seal

-
U can’t leave all that sealer in there. It will eventually come off and go thru the motor. Kim
20201117_151704.jpg

use a razor blade to clean all that out. it's a timing cover, not a bagel :)

Yeah, evidently I've not seen one that late a model.
Seems like everyone i have is late model lol. I have tore down a few 318s all from the 80s that's where most of my parts have came from. Had I known there was a difference i probably would have used the earlier one im not a big fan of how easy that thing pressed in. Don't seem very tight to me. I may go back and clean the other one and paint it and use it instead. I think its the original one to this 360.

Seems like everyone i have is late model lol. I have tore down a few 318s all from the 80s that's where most of my parts have came from. Had I known there was a difference i probably would have used the earlier one im not a big fan of how easy that thing pressed in. Don't seem very tight to me. I may go back and clean the other one and paint it and use it instead. I think its the original one to this 360.

Well there is some age difference between us. lol My heyday of doing this was back in the late 70s and all through the 80s so most of those 80s ones were still on the road. lol

Seals normally come with sealant on the outside of the seal, but most of them have been sitting on shelves so long that it's dried out beyond being any good. That's why I always recommend a thin coat of RTV on the outside of those type seals.......wherever they go. But not after assembly. lol

U can’t leave all that sealer in there. It will eventually come off and go thru the motor. Kim
I agree, but not that it will "go through the motor". It actually won't go through the motor. It will come off and get sucked up into the screen on the sump choking off the oil flow to the oil pump.

I agree, but not that it will "go through the motor". It actually won't go through the motor. It will come off and get sucked up into the screen on the sump choking off the oil flow to the oil pump.
Thanks guys I never even thought of that. I will scrape it out of the inside.

-
Back