Timing Cover..."Stupid Question"

-

DOHCRT

Reaction score
I must be missing something...I have played with SB Mopars all my life (20+years) and have never had this problem. I just picked up a nice 69 Dart GT 'vert. 318 all original except for the Holley carb. I went to do the basic tune-up and discovered there are no timing marks cast into the cover. I have looked on both sides and from the bottom and cannot find any timing marks like I am used to seeing. What am I missing, without pulling plugs and valve covers, how can I set initial timing? My timing light lights up the mark on the pass side right around where the timing marks should be, but they are not there. The cover is un-modified right down to the cast iron water pump.

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Vic in Phoenix

92 Spirit R/T
91 Spirit R/T (Parting Out)
89 CSX
88 CSX-T TIII?
87 CSX
87 Shelby Lancer
84 Rampage TII
97 Diesel Ram
69 Dart GT 'vert

Sounds like you have timming cover with no marks. Some came like that,I thought only on 360's from some time in the late 70's. If so, they had a little bolt on tab that went on the pass side, I believe. It was attached at the top of the housing by two of the bolts. You might be able too get one at a dealer.If not I can probably find one in all my stuff for you, seems to me I picked some up at a swap meet a few years ago. Let me know. It's been awhile since i have messed with them. Hope this helps. Dave

check the swap meets and also try these guys. they may have one like what you need.

i just stopped by these guys after running all over hells half acre trying to find a timing cover for my PW... you'd think with it being a 360 EVERYONE would have at least one either in stock or can order. well JC Auto restoration was where i was pointed to get almost ANYTHING mopar related. guess what... they have my timing cover. several in fact. i have to go back tomorrow because the person that was there was gimped due to a broken arm but hey thats cool. no climbing for him if he can help it.

but if you need Chrysler, Dodge, Desoto, Plymouth, Imperial or Dodge truck parts give these guys a call.....

JC Auto Restoration
20815 52nd ave w
Lynnwood Wa 98036
www.jcauto.com
tel: 425-672-8324
fax: 425-771-2522
email: [email protected]

this guy has got a BUTTLOAD of older chrysler parts and he might have one or two for our trucks... ya never know...(quoted frommy writeup on ramchargercentral.com)

-
Back