Timing cover water leak-Help

-

MR4V

Reaction score
I have a timing cover gastket leanking water on the left hand side from the bolt just below the water inlet to the block.
This has come to light when topping up all the fluids, so it will most likely leak when I run the engine.
All the parts are new & have been sitting for over a year.
Is there an easy way to fix this?
Do I need to replace the gasket?
If so can I replace it with out pulling the engine or removing the pan?
Cheers

You could try draining the cooling system and remove the bolts one at a time and apply Number 2 Permatex which is a black sealer that you put on the treads of the bolt and reinstall them one at a time and torque them down. This sealer is non-harding so it can expand & contract with the heat of the engine. Do not put a silicone sealer on the bolts it will set-up and the coolant will still wick around the bolts so the leak will just come back over time.

You could try draining the cooling system and remove the bolts one at a time and apply Number 2 Permatex which is a black sealer that you put on the treads of the bolt and reinstall them one at a time and torque them down. This sealer is non-harding so it can expand & contract with the heat of the engine. Do not put a silicone sealer on the bolts it will set-up and the coolant will still wick around the bolts so the leak will just come back over time.

X2
Common white paste teflon sealant (hardware store) on all timing cover / water pump bolts works great also.

Thanks.
I have just removed & replaced the bolt using number 2 Peratex, I will see how I go.

Check all bolts and make sure they are no to long. . I have seen guys use to long of a bolt and run them through the cylinder wall. Hope you didn't do this.

Like if you remove the power steering bracket and use the same bolts . you then destroy the motor without knowing. They are 3/16 shorter for manual steering . also 340's have shorter lower bolts due to larger cylinder dia.. Just some info for you. Steve

-
Back