Timing cover

-

504DusterIR

Reaction score
Hello How are y'all doing. I have a 318 la that's still in the car, I'm removing the Timing Cover. Do I need to drain the oil pan before I take the timing cover off ? I also removed a bracket an coolant came out of the screw holes that normal?

IMG_20230713_210243.jpg

I normally change my oil after the procedure as dirt and coolant may find there way into the front of the pan. Normal for coolant to come from the PS bracket holes. They are threaded into the water jacket.

*CAUTION* Don't lose track of the bolt positions for bracket bolts. If you use a bolt too long, it will come in contact with the cylinder wall, and possibly crack it.......Very close tolerance here.

And.............Use sealant on all bolts that go into the water jacket or you'll get leaks.

I would not use the little cork pan gasket corner pieces that come in most timing cover gasket kits. Obviously thoroughly degrease everything but definitely use some degreaser/cleaner with a small wire brush to really scrub the corners of the block/pan (where you used a sharp blade to cut the old pan gaskets off) Ensures no possibility of weeping or leaks.
I use Ultra Black rtv and build up a uniform bead in place of those little cork pieces, and fill in those block/pan corners as well. You can use the oil pan bolts to help draw the timing cover down and then check to make sure the flats of the timing cover are level with the block, you don’t want to draw it down too much. You should be able to reinstall the cover without loosening the pan this way. Others may have a different method using the cork pieces with good results. I’ve changed out the cover gaskets on these LA’s for any number of reasons (coolant leak, balancer seal, cam changes) and it’s the only way I reseal. YRMV

C1890497-6F42-4C02-92E9-84A2E4D90658.jpeg

Last edited:
I normally change my oil after the procedure as dirt and coolant may find there way into the front of the pan. Normal for coolant to come from the PS bracket holes. They are threaded into the water jacket.

*CAUTION* Don't lose track of the bolt positions for bracket bolts. If you use a bolt too long, it will come in contact with the cylinder wall, and possibly crack it.......Very close tolerance here.

And.............Use sealant on all bolts that go into the water jacket or you'll get leaks.

Ok thank you good info so if I remove the timing cover with out draining oil it won't come spilling out somewhere?

No it won't, but you should change your oil once you get done with your repair. 65'

Ok definitely will ..trying to get to my cam to change out..researched need to use break in oil

In removing the front cover you may get antifreeze down into the oil pan when you pull it off. So therefore it would be a good idea to drain the oil after you get all this done and change it.
Now is that bolt hole busted out on the front cover?

20230715_110026.jpg

It is unfortunately....I haven't got to take it off to see but I'm guess I'ma need a new time cover

To help keep coolant from draining down into the oil pan, pull the coolant drain plus in the side of the block, or, pop out an easy to get to freeze plug on each side of the block. That can be a messy job though, so, have several drain pans and lots of rags handy.

Yea I found out the hard way..thought everything was drained out when I drained the radiator ...going thru a bag of kitty litter

-
Back