Timing follow up question??

-

scooby67

Reaction score
So, after replacing my dizzy with a MP unit that I can adjust, here's where I am. I hooked up a vacuum guage and from 12 degrees initial, gave it more timing. Naturally, as the rpm increased, so did the vacuum. So there I was at 22 degrees intial and an idle of 1250rpm at 12" of vacuum. Therefore, I backed down the idle speed to 850rpm and the vacuum dropped to 6". Seems crazy high for initial, so I backed it down to 18 degrees at 850rpm and still have 6" of vacuum. I adjusted the dizzy to give 20 degrees mechanical advance and here I am. It runs well, not hard to turn over at all. My queston is, how do I know this is where I'm supposed to be?? I'm at 18 degrees, but why not 16 or 20?? How do I zero in on this?

My car likes 18-20 initial and I have 36 total works great for me that way.

If it's cranking hard, IE kicking on the starter, you need to back it down a few. Then juggle the advance in the distributor until you get the total figure you want, and finally, CHECK the total with a light at high RPM. Even if you "think" the advance is "all in" blip it to be sure.

If you are paranoid about getting a fan blade through your head, do this with the fan belt unhooked. Hey, it has happened.

-
Back