timing gears replacement....one question

-

cdnEHbody

Reaction score
What's the best way to keep the engine from turning over when you are wrenching on the harmonic balancer remover? I'm about ready to start this job. Got all the stuff need. Just need to get out of holiday mode.

I put a large screwdriver through the mounting bolts for the puller.

I pull the starter and then use a pry bar against the torque converter teeth to hold the crank still.

Impact gun on the balancer bolt. If the torque from the gun turned it any at all, wrap a rag around the end of the crank and use a pipe wrench to turn it back to where you are lined up again. Or put the bolt back in and use a ratchet to move it back.

Thanks for all the tips. Had the idea of pulling the small cover off of the bellhousing and using piece of wood in the gears. But good to have a few others on hand. Wasn't sure if I was crazy or if there was an even easier way.

No bolt on the /6 balancer (although you can added one); it is an interference fit to the crank snout.

sounds like he is wrenching on the puller itself. Im with Halifaxhops, stick a bar between the puller mounting bolts and use it as a brace. I was suprised how far that puppy was pressed on. Getting it back on is another story. I found a Lisle brand puller has the same thread pitch as an OEM bolt and if you run a nut up it, you can screw it in and use the puller hex head as the stop and just crank down on the nut, presses it right on. Then just unscrew the bolt.

For installation, just get 2 bolts, 3/4"x16TPI, and get one that as 2.5" long and one that is 2" long. Or stack some washers under the 2.5" long one after the balancer is almost pulled in. A 2.5" bolt will bottom out in the crank threads before the damper is all the way pulled in, but you need one that long to catch enough crank threads to get it started .

well, you could also just get a full thread 4" 3/4x16 and run a nut on it. Bottom bolt and use nut to push balancer on while holding the head, same principle as my Lisle puller jackscrew.

Yes, that would work great too.... it's just easier to find non-full threaded bolts in that size.... at least around here.

-
Back