Timing light

-

340RT

Reaction score
Timing marks hidden 68 rad Late model water pump Need timing light that doesnt need to see marks

here is what i would do...remove the water pump....line up the damper with the marks on the passenger side...then make new marks on the driver side where they can be seen....

Ok dudes Maybe there is no such way.

You need to give us some "actual details." What is your setup?

If worst comes to worst, you can MAKE one where you can see it even a bolt on deal over on the "other side."

Can you convert to the later water pump / timing cover?

Maybe you should try typing correct English in complete sentences. Then we might can get a grasp on what you are looking for.

Oh you want one of those timing lights!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :wack:

Some of the replies on this thread is downright rude... Some of you need to chill out some... My apologies to the OP for having to deal with this

Some of the replies on this thread is downright rude... Some of you need to chill out some... My apologies to the OP for having to deal with this

No rudeness at all. I have no clue what he is talking about. Save your assumptions for yourself, please.

Why do you think I was talking about you?

I'm sorry, OH WAIT I didn't say anything.

Woo Hoo :D

The OP could just do a top dead center verification with a piston stop and make marks or pointers anywhere that's available.
It's not like the timing needs to be checked all the time.

WRONG. OP needs to supply more info. From what he posted we have no idea. NONE

We're not pickin on the guy. We are asking for more and clearer info so we can help him. I have never seen or heard of a timing light that does not need to "see" the timing mark. I am totally unfamiliar with that.

It is possible, I see engine timing in my car, and how many degrees by RPM and vacuum. I did not buy it, I made it myself.

Does your engine start and run ok now? You might just have to leave it set where it's at. I timed engines for years with a vacuum gauge and by ear. The numbers were never correct according to the service manual but they started without kicking back ran well and didn't ping.

What I would do is find TDC and make a new mark on the balancer where you can see it and then use a dial back timing light or timing tape. I had to do this when I swapped in my 340 because I'm using a '68 timing cover and a '72 balancer and the marks are on opposite sides. Worked just fine for me

OK OK LOL.. it was late when I typed original post...Spent 4 days at Nats in the sun..68 rad early water pump later timing cover.. Have not messed with this car in years.. forgot it is hard to find timing marks..What timing light do you guys recommend.. Getting car ready for Norwalk found some issues this weekend..

-
Back