Timing mark locations on small block covers?

-

Claudius

Reaction score
I am forced to replace the timing chain cover for my 1968 318 engine due to corrosion of the water jacket holes in/out of the water pump assembly. There are no indicators on the front of the cover plate for use with setting timing when I start up the engine again.

The problem I am facing is that I do not know whether a replacement timing cover should have the marks on the driver or passenger side of the cover plate. :read2:

I found items on eBay that are in good condition (because the supplier provided me with additional pictures) but I have the choice of where the timing marks are located. The postings suggest driver side for 71 & up and passenger side for 1968-1969.

Newer harmonic balancers have timing marks already engraved for use with the timing lights but I would like to be correct for the 1968 model year.

Can anybody shed some light on this topic?

If your current cover doesn't have a timing scale in the casting a sheetmetal scale was attched under a bolt head. Regardless of which kind of scale it will be located opposite side from the lower hose neck on your water pump. Hope this helps

'70 and up has the timing marks cast into the timing cover on the driver's side. Those are the only covers that are reproduced. '69 and earlier are on the passenger's side. '69 had the marks cast in the passenger's side timing cover. That is a one year only cover. The '68 and earlier cars had a bracket that bolted to the two lower water pump bolts which provided the timing marks. The '68 and earlier timing covers did not have any timing marks because the bracket was used instead. Sounds like you are missing the bracket.

And you can run the '70 and up timing cover with the '68 and earlier timing bracket. That is what I am doing right now with my stroker engine. The lower radiator hose on the driver's side hides the '70 and up marks pretty good. No one will know.

As always, FABO to the rescue! :cheers:

My water pump exits out on the driver side so I will go for the one with the marks on the passenger side. It would appear that whatever external marker should be there is long gone.

Thanks to all contributors!

You choices are:

1) The '69 one year only cover used.
2) A used '68 and earlier cover with the timing bracket (both used).
3) Or a used or new '70 and up cover with a used '68 and earlier timing bracket.

I put a wanted ad on this site for the timing bracket and picked up a nice one for cheap.

I tried running a '70 and up timing cover and balancer but I could not see the timing marks because of the lower hose.

couldn't he also use a newer radiator and waterpump to move the hoses to the passenger side? I know it's a expensive alternative just to see the marks on the cover. Just curious if this would work.

We just went through that with my son in law's 65 Barracuda. He called Layson's, they wanted 289$ for a used correct timing cover! (they called him back the next day and told him he could have one for 200).... we found a real nice one on Ebay for 42.95 including shipping. (With the timing indicator plate.) So, now, he may have an extra timing marker. If you are using the early water pump, it bolts under the 2 bottom bolts. and does not matter which timing cover you use.

Yes, the other alternative is to use a newer radiator, timing cover, balancer, and water pump.

couldn't he also use a newer radiator and waterpump to move the hoses to the passenger side? I know it's a expensive alternative just to see the marks on the cover. Just curious if this would work.

That is an option but you'll need to change your pulleys and alternator brackets also because the later style water pump is longer and will throw everything off. But once your switch over you will be looking pretty going forward because all those parts can be had new. No one reproduces the '69 and earlier pulleys, timing covers, or timing pointers yet.

Here is a picture of the timing pointer:

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=50742

I have a cover that will work for you and I will check to for a pointer.

I have a cover that will work for you and I will check to for a pointer.
Is it possible to see pictures and pricing on this site before 9:00 AM (EST) on Feb. 25? The eBay item of interest finishes its bidding by that time and I would be more than happy to do business with a fellow FABO member.

I looked around the containers of bolts & such in the garage this afternoon. To my pleasant surprise, I found the timing mark indicator that attaches via the two bolts on the bottom of the water pump.

If there is anyone with a generic timing cover from 1968 and earlier that they are willing to sell, please send a PM, preferably ASAP.

i had same problem when i bought a new cover from summit, i also have the driver side bottum hose with a new dampner, with the grooves for both sides for the timing marks .this is what i did, first you must make sure that #1 is at TDC. I removed the bottum hose from the radiator and the water pump to make help me make sure that i was at TDC.then I made a SMALL ( L ) out of a coat hanger ,then take a 3/8 bolt AND bend one end around the bolt and make an eye on one end of the (L) now this might take a couple of tries to make sure that you get the right lenght that you need. remove the bottum bolt on the water pump it's right by the dampner, on the same side that the groove in the dampner your going to use, slip the eye over the bolt and put the bolt back in finger tight, mine it was on the passanger side of engine so that it lines up to the groove in the dampner, here are the key points for me, Make sure #1 is at TDC compresstion stroke
timimg tape.
stealing a coat hanger from the (wife Priceless)
I wish i did not have dial up i would send pic's it works great for me.

im in the same boat with a stroker im having built. i have the 69 driver side waterpump and radiator. i bought the "correct" 69 timing cover from mancini, only to find out that it wasnt correct. the machine shop that is doing the work for me has an early cover with no marks, but doesnt have the tab. Are the bolt on metal timing tabs available? Also on a side note, this raises the question of aftermarket balancers. i was told old style small block sfi balancers are hard to find with the passenger side timing marks, but big block balancers will work. that sound right?

-
Back