Timing Mark on Cam Gear 180* off

-

wheelz 63 dart gt

Reaction score
I tried to set the timing at tdc. I took my timing cover off and took out all the plugs, and put my compression tester in #1. I turned her over by and and every time i built up compression I would look at my marks and my crank gear mark was in the right spot , but my cam gear mark was exactly 180* off. So i put my piston stop in to make sure i was at tdc and i was. I looked very close at my cam gear and it looked like someone tried to make a halfass punch mark where it shuld be lined up. Im guessing who ever rebuilt this motor knew that the timing marks were 180* off. I dont ``know why else they would be. That explains the carb popping and no start my first time trying to start her. i am starting over. now i have to det the ignition timing. Can some one tell me how to check my points. I am new to Vintage technology. Thanks

I tried to set the timing at tdc. I took my timing cover off and took out all the plugs, and put my compression tester in #1. I turned her over by and and every time i built up compression I would look at my marks and my crank gear mark was in the right spot , but my cam gear mark was exactly 180* off. So i put my piston stop in to make sure i was at tdc and i was. I looked very close at my cam gear and it looked like someone tried to make a halfass punch mark where it shuld be lined up. Im guessing who ever rebuilt this motor knew that the timing marks were 180* off. I dont ``know why else they would be. That explains the carb popping and no start my first time trying to start her. i am starting over. now i have to det the ignition timing. Can some one tell me how to check my points. I am new to Vintage technology. Thanks

With the cam at 6 and the crank at 12 the engine will be at #6 firing not #1.

Hope that helps !

First thing... keep in mind that i know nothing about slant sixes. I assume you are saying that when your crank gear dot is at 12:00 at TDC on the #1 cyl that your cam gear dot is also at 12:00. Keep in mind that on a four stroke engine that the crank takes two revolutions to go through the four cycles. The cam turns at half the speed of the crank and only makes one revolution. The piston wil be at TDC twice. If you turn the crank 360 degrees , it will be back at 12 and your cam will be at 6. On v8 Mopars, when crank gear and cam gear are both at 12, # 1 fires.This is the power stroke. When crank gear is at 12 and cam gear is at 6, # 1 is on the intake stroke. # 6 actually fires at this time.

every time i built up compression I would look at my marks and my crank gear mark was in the right spot , but my cam gear mark was exactly 180* off.

This is common with many engines, not just you /6. So far as I know, most legacy Ford/ GM/ Mopar V8s are this way. It's something "the books" just don't tell ya

-
Back