Timing or carb problem? Not sure.

-

53ryder

Reaction score
Trying to get my '65 Dart running. Pulled distributor and found gear broken in half. Replaced distributor. When I try and start it am having 'blow back' or gas spraying back out the carb (backfire?). With a friend's help we did clean out the Holley one barrel and replaced some parts on it. Hopefully we did it right. Meanwhile engine turns over but does not catch/start. Any ideas?

Is this a timing issue or a carb issue or both?

Glenn

It surely is a timing issue.

You have any idea why the dist. gear broke, or are you convinced it is a fluke? Did you inspect the cam gear for damage or debri?

How many miles on the engine, and is there a chance the cam drive has slipped?

On the face of this, sounds like you simply got the distributor (slang) "180 out," meaning it's 1/2 turn off from being in time. The TDC mark comes up twice as fast as the distributor goes clear around, so on one revolution of the crank, the no1 cylinder is NOT ready to fire, the next revolution no1 IS ready to fire.

Easy way to do that (except slant sixes!!!) is to stick your finger in the number one plug hole, bump the engine and feel for compression, then watch the marks which should be "on their way" up.

This method is difficult with a slant unless you have REAL long fingers. You can use a compression gauge, or "rig" a tool such as a scrap piece of hose, etc.

On engines with removable plug wells you MIGHT be able to see if both no1 valves are closed

But in this case----------I would just assume you are 1/2 turn off and reinstall the dist. Do NOT set your timing marks at TDC, but rather "where it is" that you want the engine initital timing, IE 5BTC, 10 BTC, etc. Drop the dist in after marking the no1 plug position on the dist. housing "so you can see," and move the dist. housing so that either the points have just opened (use an ohmeter/ test lamp) or in the case of breakerless, so that the reluctor is centered in the core of the pickup coil.

I guess you're aware of the sort of double adjustment slot on the dist. clamp bracket.

-
Back