Timing question for a 383

-

Jims71duster

Reaction score
Its mildly built,, bored 40 over,keith black eliptical dome pistons with valve cut outs,comp cam part #21-222-4,,,,grind #crb xe262h-10,,,intake valve lift.462,,exhust lift .470. eddy performer rpm,,ported and polished 906's,,holly 870street avenger,,and engine is balanced,,Auto tranny.. It has electronic mopar distributer and wil have a msd6a ignition box..Its sitting on the stand with the rotor pointing directly at the #1 cylinder wire withthe timing mark bang on top dead center,,NOW the qustion,,where is the best starting point to set the timing for first time start up

Starting piont would be at 12-13 degrees BTDC.You want a total of 32-36 degrees at 2500rpm.Most of the time you do not ned the vacumn advance hooked up.After break in period,Set timing to driving style,meaning if you have any pinging/detonation at any piont,back off the timing 2 degrees at a time,or if you get hard starting when its hot,and sounds like a bad starter turning the engine over very slowly,mrmopartech

Starting piont would be at 12-13 degrees BTDC.You want a total of 32-36 degrees at 2500rpm.Most of the time you do not ned the vacumn advance hooked up.After break in period,Set timing to driving style,meaning if you have any pinging/detonation at any piont,back off the timing 2 degrees at a time,or if you get hard starting when its hot,and sounds like a bad starter turning the engine over very slowly,mrmopartech

so,,,I back the crank up to 12-13 BTDC then turn the dist. so the rotor is back to the #1 cylinder? And that would be a good starting point to break in the cam??Srry but I'm a bit new to this.Kinda surprised I got it put back together

Its hard to get it very exact on a stand. Get it as close as you can. When you fire it up for the first time, have your timing light hooked up and ready to use. make sure the dist clamp is loose enough to allow you to move the dist. Fire it, get the rep's up to 2500 and then check and reset the timing to 38 degrees total with out vacuum hooked up. Make sure you have made a mark on your balancer for 38 degrees before you fire the motor.

-
Back