Timing

-

tekslk

Reaction score
360 engine auto 904, 355 gears, 30 over 484 lift cam, 73 360 heads, 770 street avenger carb, Now initial timing at 22, total at 34, no vacume advance, mopar dist with HEI kit inatalled, All in at 1500 seams to run great only went for short run, no ping plenty of power with great throttle response, Is this too much timing and to early for all in? Or can I run it this way. Starts easy but didnt try it yet on hot day.

The proof with be in a few hot starts. If it does not kick the starter, it's probably OK, and if not ping at part throttle when hot, OK

Well I hope I have it cause it runs great now, hot started in garage ok but I guess will no after a good run, and I will probably have to wait till next summer for the real proof. Im tired of working on this old plymouth distributor.

I always time it for maximum "before" with no ping, though you can't always hear ping at WOT, so I back it off a couple of degrees beyond the point I can't hear it any more.

I think you got it just right!

Also, i love my new wheels! Thanks! How about a photo of your car with your new wheels?

I always time it for maximum "before" with no ping, though you can't always hear ping at WOT, so I back it off a couple of degrees beyond the point I can't hear it any more.

I think you got it just right!

Also, i love my new wheels! Thanks! How about a photo of your car with your new wheels?
I also run 93 octane with a gallon of 112 cam 2 per tank, that works great inmy car and it doesnt break you doing it that way.

Attachments

• 09-22-2012 Mifflinburg Car Show 1st Place.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 257
Well drove car tonight 75 degrees out went about 18 miles no ping, still 22 initial and 34 total with all in at 1500 performes great, hot restart ok also. So for now im happy.

Installed a new vacuum canister this morning, Timing now 20 initial 32 total. Hook up vacume hose at idle it goes up to 42 when I rev it up to 2500 or so it sits on 53 will this work for street driving for better milage?

I would not necessarily back it down any with vacuum, unless you are getting part throttle ping. The vacuum will drop off quick with any throttle on the top end

Sounds like the set up I got in mine. I run about the same timing. Run about
30-32 on the street. When I take it racing. I go up to 36 at 2500 rpm.
Runs great at the strip.
I haven't beenable to run 93 around here. Only can get 91. Still no ping
on the street. I do run turbo blue at the strip, 110 octane.
I can get around 14-15 mpg with the 3.23's in it. Let us know what you
end up getting for mileage.
You'll notice that cam will start pulling great at around 2700 on up.
i can shift it at 6200 at the strip. Only differance is yours is a 360. Mines a 340.

Im done I think, 22 initial, 36 total 44 at idle when I hook up vacuum advance, and 53 at 3000 rpm. Road checked great, real responsive, I think its as good as it gets, No ping no trouble starting, now we wait for summer to see if we have issues.

-
Back